Customer reviews

on 16 May 2017
Really good (very easy) read.
on 26 June 2012
I read this book alongside the transcripts of Jaqueline Kennedy's oral history of her life with JFK. It was a coincidence, but it gives two very different perpsectives on the man - and shows how callous he could be. Worth doing if you can.

This book is well written, although very short and therefore not the best value for money. It's also without photos - quite unusual for this sort of book. Having said that, the brevity and lack of pulp to me suggests this is a very honest book - and one in which the author has felt no need to embroider or fabricate.

Read it and you will see a darker side to JFK (I have read a lot of books on the man, and this shocked me). It's not full of scandal or shocks (try 'The Darker Side of Camelot' if you want that sort of thing, not that I rate that book). But it does have details of JFK and his behaviour, and his total ability to switch off his morals; and his inability to control his needs for sex and control. In that, it shows what a complex man he was.

Some things did sicken me; not only because he was married - but because he had a daughter of his own, and I have no doubt that he would have been truly appalled if anyone had treated her in the same seedy way he treated Mimi Alford at times.

Worth a read; but be prepared to think a little less of JFK than you did before.
on 14 March 2012
I am a real JFK fanatic and have read so many accounts of his life that I should be an authority. When I heard Mimi Alford had written about her 18 month affair with Jack Kennedy I couldn't wait to read it. I was not disappointed. Well, in a way I was, because it is not very long and I had hoped for a nice chunky read. What Mimi lacked in page numbers however, she made up for in detail - not sensationalism or explicit accounting - but more about her feelings as she got deeper and deeper involved with this charismatic world leader. She writes about how she became part of the Presidential inner circle and how the affair, even though brief, affected most of her adult life. Mimi shares the journey she took which eventually sees her coming out the other side as a much stronger person.
It seems that no matter how much I read about this man there is always something new to be discovered.
on 12 November 2013
A review copy was provided by Arrow in return for an honest review

I've never really understood the fascination women had with JFK. It must have been the attraction of power because I've never seen him as a good looking man. Not in the slightest!

Mimi is young and naive and takes a a place as an intern in the white house. Having lived a sheltered life up until this point Mimi is, naturally very excited.

After only 3 days in the white house Mimi finds herself face to face with man himself. He is friendly and relaxed and makes a good impression on her. To her surprise she finds herself being invited on a tour of the residence. Alone. This tour included a visit to the bedrooms. I would not call the events that happened next an affair. What happened, in my opinion was nothing more than an abuse of power.

Yes the sex was consensual but I found the whole thing a little revolting. He thought nothing of belittling her in front of male friends and demonstrating the kind of "power" he held over her . This was not a romance. It was almost like he was having sex with her just to prove he could. Like a male lion mating with all the female members of his pride.

Frankly I think JFK ruined her life. Even after his death their encounters continued to haunt her. This secret destroyed her first marriage and led her not being able to find real happiness until much later in life.

Even after finishing I am a little confused regarding the motivation for writing this book. She seemed to find solace in revealing her secret to her friends and family. It seemed like by writing this book she was trying to validate her actions. She says she hardly ever thinks of JFK now but I think the very existence of this book proves otherwise?

The one thing in the whole book that really irked me was how blasé she was towards his wife. She never seemed to think how any of this would affect her and their children. If she was guilty it certainly didn't come across in her writing. I think they at least deserved an apology.

This was certainly an interesting read and I'd recommend it to anyone interested in JFK's love life(s)!

more @ [...]
on 12 March 2012
I have read many books on JFK and I would describe this one as an enjoyable, light read. It is not heavy on the facts or academic by any means, but it is an interesting insight into another, more private, side of JFK from one of his mistresses who had an 18 month affair with him during his presidency. Don't expect graphic detail of their liaisons, but a warm reflection of the man overall.
on 15 May 2016
This is the most boring book I've read in a long time.
I do not understand the hype or positive reception for it.
I read about 20 pages, was totally turned off by the very dry writing style - dry, colourless, prim, distant, dead - so started skimming the rest. Very soon I couldn't even be bothered to do that so threw it aside, it's going to the charity shop soon.
on 3 March 2016
This is a book you don,t buy and expect to read a few pages every other day once you start to read it one finds it difficult to put it down so on day one i read 137 pages. to me its a no nonsence book not full of stupid statements or trying to ruin someone, Mimi is just telling how it was and thats it. Highly recommended.
on 21 January 2015
very good quality. it arrived on time. no problems. great value for money! highly recommend it.
its was very short. if u have spare weekend and u wanna read a book. I read it in couple of nights. its very good. im sure shes telling the truth.
on 9 March 2012
The book has some interesting details.Also are included facts of that fate full day.Some times a little shallow but means well.The private lives of the people of that time are revealed and really they were no different from us.A good light read.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 December 2013
A secret like this, revealed after so many years could be made into a very scurrilous narration. However this story, to my mind, remains dignified and discreet. Top marks for lack of vulgarity and sensationalism. Most readable!