Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 May 2013
I have a young step son whom I love dearly and who has been in my life for the last 4 years. I bought this book to try and help me understand the complex feelings that I was experiencing in the first few years and found it to be a massive help. Unlike other books that I purchased it doesn’t preach or judge but recognises the feelings that can crop up most unexpectedly. Although we have all settled well into family life I still return to the book for reassurance when needed. It deals with the common issues that arise and helps to understand the behaviour and emotions of step children and parents. I would highly recommend it for step parents – as well as for parents whose children might be other peoples step children.
on 21 February 2013
this is a really well written and easy to read book. it has helpful quizzes to help you assess where you are and lots of information based on research which gives you an idea of what other stepmums feel. this helps you feel 'normal' as every possible negative emotion you can have experienced is covered. i should have read this years ago.
on 23 November 2014
Bought this when a boyfriend with kids was on my horizon. The relationship failed, not because of the kids though. Have kept it on a just-in-case basis. Seems like a sensible book, but think you have to work a lot out for yourself no matter how much you read or how good it is.
on 1 June 2014
i was hesitant in the beginning thinking that my situation is unique and will not be addressed, however, in each chapter of this book, i felt like i was personally being spoken to.

the practical tips and testimonials/ confessions from other step moms made me feel like i am not alone.

The tone of the book is very neutral and comforting, definitely a must for existing, new or stepmoms to be
on 7 March 2011
Can't believe just how good this book is. It has totally transformed my relationship with my step son. Its easy to read and packed full of straight forward advice for all types of step mums (i.e. with kids, without kids, full time or part time). Definitely recommend it as both a self help guide and gift.
on 20 August 2013
How to be a Happy Stepmum is full of practical, helpful advice that really helps when you are a new stepfamily. This book was published just as we were all trying to adjust to being a family and I found it really useful and supportive as I didn't know many other people who had gone through it. Several years later, I still refer to it.
on 6 June 2010
Having been a step Mum for 7 years now I found this book full of support and advice, with creative and sensible ideas that really work! Each step family is different, (my step son lives with us, his Dad and step Mum, and visits his birth Mother), however the book takes account of that and backs up the theory with family experiences which are easy to relate to. Lisa Doodson writes in a way that is easy to read and had me smiling to myself. Certainly a supportive guide that I shall be referring back to again and again.
on 4 December 2014
Easy read, informative, realistic, & above all you can really relate to everything Dr Doodson is saying, it has really helped me & my other half
on 13 January 2013
I am so pleased I bought this book, it has been such a wonderful help and support. I read the whole thing cover to cover in a very short time and have since refered back to it at any difficult time. I had tried others and found them either to be too negative or too sugary. This one is full of practical advice remaining positive all the while about your relationship with your stepchildren, however difficult that might be and whatever the level of involvement, for whatever reason. I am very grateful to the author for producing it!
on 17 May 2010
"Its great to finally find a book on being a stepmum that is research based and not just based on the authors personal perspective. As a part time stepmum I found that this book is packed with great tips and simple ideas that helped me create a better life for myself and my family.

Thanks Dr Doodson your advice has made a real difference"