Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Handmade Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Pre-order now Shop now

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 18 February 2012
I bought this as my 10-month old baby is now less tolerant of being spoon-fed and was looking for ideas for healthy, easy to prepare, finger foods. This title seemed entirely appropriate and I've used a lot of Annabel Karmel's recipes with the first stages of weaning. This book however is very disappointing. First of all, none of these recipes are 'easy' - they include things like wontons, sushi, Chinese dumplings and panco & coconut fried prawns - which take hours to prepare (and let's be honest how many parent's of babies and toddlers are time rich?) Secondly, very few of the recipes can be easily/ effectively frozen - so very few batch cooking ideas here. Furthermore, a lot of it is deep-fried - which is cumbersome and time-consuming, not to mention unhealthy. Given that most children crush, throw and spit out a lot of their first finger foods, these recipes are mostly ridiculous.

This book would be useful if you were planning a party and wanted a whole lot of middle-class aspirational canapés and appetizers. Not helpful for parents looking for 'quick and easy' healthy meals for a baby (as it promises).

On this occasion Annabel's Karmel's book was mostly a waste of money.
on 2 June 2014
I bought this book to get ideas for finger foods for my 8 months old son. I bought this book as I like other Annabel's book but I was very dis appointed. The book does not contain many ideas for so "young" babies and a lot of recipes using sugar that I would like to avoid as long as possible.
on 18 August 2009
I've just introduced my daughter (8 months) to finger foods and have found this book a helpful guide to get me started. I found the `Good first finger foods' list useful and I'm sure (when ready) the list for `Finger foods for older babies' will also become a helpful quick reference guide. Recipes are broken down into sections which cover: breakfast bites, versatile veg, fun fish, finger-licking chicken, meaty mouthfuls, simply snacks and sweet treats. Alongside each recipe information is provided on prep time, cooking time, how many portions it makes and if it's suitable for freezing. It also indicates on (approx 20) recipes if it's suitable for children under 1 years old (french toast fingers, eggy bread, veggie balls, salmon fishcakes, parmesan chicken fingers, mini meatballs, yoghurt orange and lemon mini cupcakes to name a few ....). The book also highlights foods that are choking hazards and what to do if it happens. It also introduces ideas on food to give your baby to help whilst teething. Overall I'd recommend this book for new, imaginative and fun cooking ideas to complement other healthy alternatives.
on 17 February 2010
I have all of Annabel Karmel's books and have found them all really useful. This one has some really lovely recipes.
on 19 June 2011
I'm a big fan of Annabel Karmel, already have 'Top 100 purees' and 'Complete Family Meal Planner' but I was disappointed with this purchase. As some of the other reviewers say, the recipes have long lists of ingredients and sound quite complicated to do. A lot are also fried which does put me off.
At the same time I bought Jennie Maizels Finger Food book and was really pleased with it. The recipes look quick and easy to do and I have already cooked fish cakes from it - both children, aged 2.5 and 10 months loved them!
on 3 January 2016
very few recipes are suitable for a 6 month old. almost all of them are aimed at over 12 month olds.
when my LO started eating he didn't want to be spoonfed so i needed some ideas quickly as to what to feed him. i thought this book might help, but its too advanced.
on 4 January 2011
This is a lovely book with lots of good ideas for snacks and light meals for little ones. I'm a very keen cook and found the recipes relatively straightforward, with some being more time consuming than others. As long as you read through the recipe before you start, its obvious which are going to be quicker if you're pressed for time. I saw that some other reviewers didn't like that some of the food is fried, but if you have a little one who is very fussy, I think it's better they eat vegetables fried in a tiny bit of oil or butter than not eat vegetables at all.
on 23 February 2013
I was at the end of my tether trying to get my child to eat when she was going through an ultra fussy stage - this book really helped give me ideas. Although my daughter is dairy & intolerant, most of the recipes are easily adaptable. A great hit is the salmon fish fingers (we didn't add the mayo).
on 2 July 2012
Very disappointing book as I loved the Baby and Toddler Meal planner. There was nothing quick and easy or healthy about most of these recipes. A huge amount of the foods are fried and require a lot of ingredients. My baby is allergic to egg and between that and the fact I don't want him to live on rich fried foods at this age there weren't many recipes that I can use.
on 5 July 2009
I was looking for some ideas for finger foods for my 13 month old little girl, she just would not eat hot meals from a spoon...this book was ideal, full of information and lots of recipes that kiddies will love! Perfect choice.