on 16 December 2008
I bought this book on the recommendation of so many mums, and it was a great help to get started through the minefield of weaning - I found the first and second stage recipes a great help, although some of the second stage ones are a bit too similar.

Unfortunately, having now reached the 9-12 month section, I'm finding it a bit less useful. The recipes still seem to be based around creating a purée, when my 9-month old is quite happy with lumps and likes finger food. I was also very surprised to see the 9-12 month menu planner with milk feeds 5 times a day, and had hoped for some direction in reducing these.

I notice Amazon package this book with the 100-purée book - having bought one and borrowed the other from the library, I'd say the content is about 90% the same, so save your pennies and just buy one!
33 comments| 347 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 April 2008
Lots of quick, easy & healthy recipes. I didn't have much of a clue about weaning and found this book a godsend. My baby is now 11 months and I have used this book for cooking his meals since he was 5 months old. I am still using it just about every day. The recipes are so good we have even made family meals from them! Highly reccommended and worth the money.
on 21 February 2008
i was at my wits end as to trying to get my toddler to eat anything ! this book gave me lots of new ideas and got her back on track with her eating habits.
on 9 November 2016
Have used this loads while weaning my little girl. The recipes are straightforward and quick and all but one (and I tried all of the 6-9mth ones) went down a treat with her! Overall I'm really pleased with the book and would recommend, my only small gripe is that an awful lot of the recipes are based around sweet potato - this makes even the savoury meals relatively sweet which the babies love but which I think could potentially create a preference for sweeter flavours which may be hard to break.
on 24 November 2016
As the kind of parents who 'just get on with it' we generally don't buy loads of books of advice as in the past we have found a combination of faddish confusion or just simply a deluge of information that really doesn't help tired parents. So - when weaning our amazingly healthy baby we didn't have a clue where to start! This was recommended by friends (who have an 18 month old and baby twins) - it's simple, it's no-nonsense, it's easy to read and tells you what you need to know.
on 30 December 2011
If anyone buys this book,before you give your baby that mixed Dried-Fruit Compote pg 36 which includes dried apricot, read info on pg 96 about warning on dried Apricot.
That pg96 is for babies from 9 months but what the recipe on page 36 doesn't say is that 'important information' which reads; 'Some dried apricots are treated with sulphur dioxide to preserve their bright orange colour; these should be avoided as they can trigger an asthma attack in susceptible babies. Don't give your baby lots of dried fruits as it can be difficult to digest- and laxative.'

Since the information can only be found from 9 months recipe,I had already made lots of it and literally fed it to my baby every day as she was only about 6-7months then and had not read the follow on pages [in this case pg96 which is for babies from 9 months. How I found out? Well my baby is 9 months now and was looking for 9 months recipes and came across this vital information which was left out at the time the recipe was introduced earlier.

My baby is currently being treated for possible Asthma linking to a cough she has had for 2-3months linking to the time I gave her this recipe, and I do not wish that any babies get this too. Be warned and if possible, give your babies fresh fruits and vegetables only instead of dried ones. I have emailed Annabel's company and suggested that this book be withdrawn and they should appologise to any mums who have tried this recipe without knowing.

I believe when it comes to babies one has to be careful and it's a shame that this was ignored or not well quality checked.Shame
55 comments| 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 April 2008
I have follwed the older version of this book avidly from beginning weaning my daughter at 5 months to where wer`re at now (9 and a half mths).
I have kept renewing this new edition (updated with current feeding guidelines and better recipe ideas)from the library so often that Im going to have to buy my own copy now as I`m not sure how many more "loans" I can get out of it!
But seriously, I really recommend it and all the mums I know use it daily too.
It`s got great ideas on how to start weaning and how to move babes through new foods and textures, ace recipe ideas, meal planners (which balance their diets for you - meaning one less thing to stress about) so all you have to do, is sort out a mass shopping, batch cooking and freezing session once a month! (Which is hard work -but well worth it..becoming a mum certainly forces you to become more organised.)
Then with a freezer full of good home cooked meals you can relax and just sort out fresh (unfreezable) breakfasts each day!!

One update to this edition, is the addition of which recipes are actually safe to freeze, among other good suggestions.

Get it, u wont regret it!
on 10 December 2013
A really disappointing book. If you cook at home and eat reasonably healthy you will be puzzled by the idea of giving mayo and sugar to your baby. Most recipes are so basic that they barely qualify for a recipe. If your baby is at the first stage of weaning, then you really don't need to buy a book to know that you can whiz peas and courgettes together for your child. I have recently bought a family cookbook with wholesome everyday recipes for the whole family, including babies and toddlers, and it is much better than Karmel's. I would recommend buying a good cookbook and modifying the recipes to suit your baby.
on 13 April 2008
Was creating my own simple receipes for a while but when straggled got this book and found it really helpful. Lots of nice and easy ideas for baby meals. My boy is now very good eater.
on 18 July 2015
Book that suggests adding sugar to baby food (in hidden forms of maple sirup etc), cornflakes, margarine, Weetabix and frying baby food on vegetable oil ( that turns rancid when heated), and suggests dried apricots without warning about avoiding yellow apricots which contain sulphure dioxide and can be very dangerous for babies - which is very irresponsible- was swiftly returned to Amazon ... It's shocking that this author is considered the leader in baby nutrition