Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 January 2014
This book is very hard going, repetitive, not for the feint hearted. The style is not to the point or succinct. I had to read, and re read much of it often as the author gets lost in his desire to enlighten us. It could be much shorter if set out better and so much easier to read and understand.

I agree with the content, I trained in Food Science, Nutrition and Dietetics; refined carbohydrates and hidden sugar in processed foods and drinks are the cause of obesity and health issues, not fats, saturated or otherwise, tho beware transfats. The book tries to show how we are all conned, especially by the medical profession and those who should have our welfare as a priority, instead we are misled because ultimately it comes down to money - made by "big pharma", sugar companies and producers of foodstuffs laced with sugar and other refined carbohydrate.

Tuabes other book "Why We Get Fat" is much better, as is Dr Malcolm Kendricks "The Great Cholesterol Con".
on 10 June 2017
I should say at the start that I have a background in science (physics) and so was surprised at the lack of scientific rigour used in the field of neutrition revealed by this book.

I have read Gary Taubs other book "Why we get fat" and wanted to know more about the background to the "carbohydrate hypothesis" and why dietary advice in the UK for people with high cholesterol and obesity is as it is (that is to go on a low fat high carbohydrate diet, and/or take statins).

My reason for needing more information was initiated by being told by my doctor that, as a woman aged 60, I am at a raised risk of heart disease because I have high "cholesterol" and am over weight. The reason I am overweight is that I was told in 2002 I needed to go on a high fiber diet. The problem is that fiber comes with starch and so I have put a lot of weight on. So it did not make sense to me to increase the proportion of carbohydrates in my diet in order to loose weight.

These two books opened my eyes to the lack of science behind the current national guidelines. Historically the subject seems to have been crippled by dogma verging on religious ideology rather than science. Having read both books I would highly recommend them as a well researched overview of the field. My Taubes does sometimes come over as having a bee in his bonnet, but considering what he has uncovered it is little surprise. Having read the history behind how national nutritional guidelines are formed I now have little confidence in them. The sad thing is that there is only scant scientific evidence to support the "carbohydrate hypothesis" of obesity. However, the evidence such as it is seems more compelling than used to support the current advice. This advice is being given to us via our overworked GPS who wonder why their patients fail to loose weight using the current advice (the latter statement is based on what my GP said to me when I indicated that I was not keen to have to swallow pills for the remainder of my life for a disease I do not have and may never have.)

Maybe the people who make up these national nutritional guidelines should read these books and think more critically about the scientific validity of the advice they are providing,
on 15 August 2015
Every doctor should read this book! I changed my views after it, cut out the carbs, and lost a stone in 6 weeks and never felt hungry. My cholesterol is spot on and my blood pressure normalised with no medication. I now encourage all my colleagues to read it, and recommend the "air plane" version (why do we get fat) to my patients and friends.
on 26 April 2017
Very well written and researched. Blows the whistle on the last 40-50 years of the big food suppliers making loads of cash at the expense of our health.
on 12 April 2014
A great book. I hadn't a clue that I shouldn't be eating carbohydrates to lose weight and get healthier. It has taught me so much. Everyone should read this book.
on 16 December 2014
Brilliant
on 2 July 2011
...after all, our government and nutritional 'experts' (I use the term loosely) order us to do things and we do. Well, not anymore! Now we start to THINK FOR OURSELVES!

This book will change everything you thought you knew to be fact when it comes to nutrition and it's link to modern diseases such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes etc... But then you will find yourself in a predicament, as you tell your friends and family to eat lard and eggs every day and that 'weight watchers' or 'slim fast' is toxic and fattening you will be faced with ridicule and treated as the stupid, paranoid person they thought you were. That is until after following the advise in this amazing book your health and body starts to change from the moody, sick, fat slob they thought they knew to a healthy, strong, and (slightly) less fat slob your are now.

This book is comprehensive and well written and the author should have an award for the most 'light bulb' moments in a book as you will find yourself saying 'ahh, now I know' quite a lot!

Highly recommended, just don't expect your brainwashed family and friends to believe a word of it!
VINE VOICEon 22 November 2009
Superb! Real science made clear. An exposure of the very bad dietary advice that the world has been conned with. The wrong and misleading information has lead to much ill health in the world. Taubes is a hero and a brilliant man.

It takes some long and careful reading but he has read the research, understood it and passed it on to us. We are mad if we do not heed it.
Great book.
on 10 February 2010
I have spent the last decade researching the link between diet and health and in particular how to prevent Type 2 Diabtes and reverse things for those at particular risk (I am a GP). This book brilliantly sumarises the history of how we have got to where we are today. The Low Fat paradim is founded on feet of clay and the high energy carb' approach really works. The science is behind a low refined carb diet but public policy has not kept up. Its what I advise my patients and what I do for myself. We were taught 'insulin is what the body secretes to deal wih sugar'... I now belive that 'insulin is the body's last defence against glucose'
on 2 October 2009
This is not your typical diet book. In fact, if you are looking to loose weight/get healthy then this book alone is probably not going to help (I'd recommend buying the Paleo diet or Protein Power), but it is still definitely worth reading.

The field of nutrition is full of misinformation/conflicting viewpoints - Should we be eating a low fat diet with plenty of wholegrains, avoiding eggs and red meat for fear of heart disease, or should we be cutting out carbs and ditching the margarine in favour of good old fashioned butter?

Unfortunately most books on diet and nutrition seem to be based mainly on personal opinion and conjecture (or a catchy gimmick). The diet delusion on the other hand actually looks at the available scientific evidence and to a large extent allows you to draw your own conclusions.

Through personal experimentation and experience, plus a bit of common-sense I came to the conclusion some time ago that saturated fat is not the enemy, and that the key to health and a good physique is cutting out starch and sugar and following a diet similar to that of our hunter gatherer ancestors. It has long been a puzzle to me however, where this myth of healthy wholegrains and evil fats ever came from. The diet delusion answers this question, and its fairly shocking!

A fascinating (though fairly heavy) read.