on 6 January 2010
This books offers lots of practical information on adoption. It takes you through the entire process from considering adoption to the application, assessment and acceptance to finding your child and living with them. It contains no stories or real life accounts, which I quite liked. This is a very straight forward, useful and practical book which clearly outlines the process.

I found it a bit repetitive at times, but sometimes even the repitition was useful. Some of the information can be a bit daunting, so when the author kept saying "don't worry, you can do it, once you have your child, you will have been trained and tested way more than biological parents" I found that very encouraging.

Highly recommended for people who are seriously considering adoption and who are looking for guidance on what is going to happen when.
on 10 April 2009
I think this book is perfect for those who are embarking on the adoption process. It does not have all the answers but it provides the information needed to know where to look. There is a warmth from the author which is reassuring and makes the reader feel less alone. I would highly recommend it.
on 3 April 2010
We first read this when we started our home study to become prospective adopters & have passed it onto both our parents & extended family. Brilliant insight into the whole process from many different angles, this is easy to read & gives a balanced view. Recommended first read.
on 28 June 2010
This book is great for anyone thinking about adopting, or just taking the first few steps. However, going much past that the book is of little use as your social worker will have given you all of the information that the books contains and more.

An improvement would be to include what to expect once you've adopted, or maybe that should be the second book.
on 21 May 2009
Extremely well written and pragmatic guide about what's involved in adoption - difficulties & rewards.
Would recommend this to those that are contemplating adoption and their families and friends.
on 11 May 2009
I found this book extremely helpful and informative! I have recommended it to others who want to adopt!
on 26 February 2014
I was excited to receive this book in the post, we are at the early stages of the adoption process. However I was disappointed with the content. I learnt very little from it, as the book is over simplistic and has very little substance. The book seems to repeat it's self quite frequently. It is very basic and we will have no need to refer back to it at any stage in the adoption process.
on 12 April 2011
As prospective adopters, we bought this book to give us an idea of what adoption entailed. It is a straightforward read, and gives good information about the process of adoption and what to expect. A definite recommendation for others considering adoption. I expect I will delve into this again and again as we continue with the process
on 22 June 2012
We're are currently in the middle of our home study sessions,this book explains the process from start to finish,warts and all. It has a good reference section of where and who to contact for more information, when and where needed.
I agree with another reader that some things are repeated, however I wouldn't let that one small point put you off reading this............good luck to anyone considering this journey.
on 29 April 2014
A well written book by a very well meaning man.
Pity he couldn't have got to the stupid ,petty bloody idiots that we dealt with who were hell bent on putting every obstacle in our way & successfully succeeded in putting us right off.