on 30 October 2009
I am constantly looking for recipes that both my kids will enjoy, and there are lots in this book. There are some excellent versions of old favourites like the Chilli con Carne (the boys voted this the best I've ever made), and Chicken and Vegetable Curry (a great way to get lots of vegetables in under the radar). The gluten free versions of fast food like fish fingers, chicken nuggets and pizza are fantastic and so simple to make - better than any 'normal' version I've had. And there are some lovely new ideas - we particularly like the Polenta Chips (and I thought I hated polenta!)and the cheesey snakes are great snacks though difficult to stop eating once you start. I love the Party Food and Sweet Things sections - the wonderful ideas for cakes, biscuits and puddings show that you never need to feel deprived on a gluten free diet (try Dalia's Luscious Lemon Bars, they are superb). This is a great book to use for everyday cooking even if you are not catering for children on a gluten free diet.
on 6 August 2009
An absolute must have for anyone who has a child with coelliac disease in their life. My child was recently diagnosed and this is exactly what I have been looking for. Great advice on coping with a gluten free life style and delicious child friendly recipes that the whole family can enjoy. I can't recommend this book highly enough.
This is such a great little book. Easy to make recipies that really are tasty and perfect for kids......just like the title says.

I own a lot of gluten free receipe books and usually can pick one or two ideas from each to tempt my son with but the majority of those other cook-books (as good as some of them may be) focus on adults with gluten intolerance and consist of meals and dishes that wouldn't look out of place at a dinner party catering for guests with a discerning palate. This little gem though, well and truly caters for children and covers everything from snacks and nibbles through to parties and complete meals. It also has some nice little tales/snippets that go with some of the recipies, to let you know how they came about, which is interesting.

The BEST thing about this book however, is that although it's brilliant for the gluten intolerant in your family it also works as a general child friendly cookbook that everyone can benefit from, even those in the family that can tolerate gluten will find little to object to with these dishes. It's impossible to tell that the finished recipies cater to a dietary requirement, it all just tastes and looks like good home-made food. The recipies are healthy, tasty, fun, easy AND gluten free. It's brilliant.

Even if you're just looking for a great cookbook for kids menu's I'd recommend this one, it's filled with yummy stuff.
on 11 May 2010
This book is the best gluten free cook book out there, I emplore every one who is gluten free to check this little gem out, I have used nearly all the recipes, I am not a great adventurer when it comes to cooking, I have many friends who are gluten free and like to give presents and cook for them, I was just about ready to give up, not nice inviting friends over and asking them to bring their own puddings or bread, then I discovered this little book, wow is all I can say, as I stated I am not a great cook but I found all these recipes so easy to make and boy they are all delicious, I thoroughly recommend this book, its a definite must have for all gluten frees, I must make one more comment, I am not gluten free but I enjoy every thing I make from this book, you can always taste the difference in gluten free food and this is NOT the case, I am so impressed with this book I actually make all these recipes for my self now. its a real winner, you can enjoy fantastic food without having to make different meals for your gluten tolerent members of the family, the food is so enjoyable, no body can tell the difference. Keep up the good work.
on 7 April 2011
I bought this book to inspire me, as my 7 year old son has Autism Spectrum Disorder and I heard a Gluten Free diet may help. I was totally surprised when I started to look at the recipes.... Amazing were my words. I love his book. All the recipes are wonderful and tasty and no-one would ever tell that the food is Gluten Free !! The faves in our house are the Kiddy Corn Chowder, Choc Brownies and Peanut butter Cookies. This book is totally awesome and a must have in the GF kitchen, it has made me realise that going GF is nothing to worry about and has given me an enjoyable hobby :)
on 31 December 2010
I bought this book looking for some recipes for my toddler daughter who's recently been diagnosed with coeliac disease. The recipes in this book are generally nice, although I would certainly not describe them all as 'for kids' as they're actually a diverse range of meals for all the family.

However, if I had known that the "...Gluten free flour mixes available on prescription are not suitable for the recipes contained in this book...", then I might not have bought the book. I also would have preferred that information to be displayed more prominently than at the bottom of page 47. I wanted child-friendly recipes and advice on how to use the flours I CAN get on prescription to make meals for my daughter - not a book which requires me to purchase additional flours just to get started.

I was, to be honest, a little bit disappointed with this book. The title led me to believe it would be packed full of recipes that would entice a toddler, and would use the foodstuffs available on prescription for a coeliac child. I already know that rice, eggs, fruit and salad are naturally gluten free, so about 18 pages of recipes on these foodstuffs seems a bit 'money for old rope'. On the other hand, there are some lovely recipes in there and I will still use this book to make gluten-free meals. Just not as much as I'd hoped, and probably in conjunction with another gluten-free cookery book.
44 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 October 2009
This is an excellent cook book. So far I have made Dalia's luscious lemon bars (which were luscious), the polenta chips (really easy and tasty) and the fish fingers (which were great). The best recipe so far has been the chocolate brownies, which were so moreish I had to give them all to my daughter to give out to her friends at school to stop me polishing off the whole lot! The recipes are clear, easy to follow and accompanied by really interesting and useful tips. The author also runs an excellent website and you can add your comments on the recipes to the blog there.
on 27 September 2009
Love this book. I brought it as I had a friend coming to stay who had coeliac disease and was at a loss what to cook for her. This book allowed me to to make some lovely easy meals that the whole family enjoyed (aged 2 - 62!) and also give me an understanding of what gluten free really means. Although you don't need to be gluten free to enjoy the recipies. My daughter loves the polenta chips, yummy.
on 26 August 2009
We have really enjoyed the delicious recipes in this book. We have a coeliac grandparent as well as coeliac friends, so have lots of times when we need to cook gluten-free and this book has given us heaps of inspiration. The meals are suitable for both kids and adults and provide plenty of variety and include ideas from round the world, making it all the more interesting. Highly recommended!
on 14 October 2010
This book is good and has some great ideas but a lot of the recipes include nuts and as my son has a nut allergy as well as Coeliacs I would not have bought it had I known.