Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 May 2017
Easy to dip in to. Some smart suggestions.
on 16 December 2015
This is the best book I have read on parenting. It is written in a fashion that keeps your attention, with all sorts of practical advice. I started to implement the suggestions right from chapter one as I worked through the book. It is also the first book on parenting that I have managed to read all the way through. The author has dealt with most of the problems that can come up. I intend to read through it a few more times as the advice is very valuable and I am sure I have already forgotten some details.
on 6 August 2009
Grandmothers are reluctant to give advice to sons and daughters-in-law on how to bring up their children, but they can give this book without giving offence.
Charlie Taylor writes with humour. He doesn't suggest that monsters turn into angels overnight (after all, growing up takes a long time) - but gives practical advice and ideas on improving behaviour that, if followed and stuck to, will work.
He has three children and is headmaster of a school for excluded children, so the book is written not as theory, but from his own experience.
11 Comment| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 October 2009
I gave this book to my daughter to assist with her two very boistrous and demanding little girls (one of 4 and one of 2). She has thoroughly enjoyed reading the book and found situations that are very similar to her own. She has put a few ideas into pactice and they have worked!
on 30 July 2009
The thing I liked the most about the author is that he almost immediately admits his children can annoy him. Thank God, he must be the first child behaviour/rearing expert that actually admits how irritating children can be. I was hooked - I adore my child but I'm not blind to her occasionally appalling behaviour either. Sensible, do-able and effective advice for dealing with bad behaviour. I have been trying the 6:1 praise:criticism thing - he's right, I did feel a bit self-conscious at first but I'm in the swing of it now and I have to say, it's working. This book should be by the bedside of every parent of children under 6.
on 3 April 2014
Had an awful weekend with my daughter. Huge tantrums one after the other. One of them happened in a superstore. I was mortified and ended up in tears. I ended up downloading this book at 5.30am the next morning when I was faced with yet another tantrum. It was brilliant. I already knew what was going wrong but it's so hard to change your own behaviour.. This book gives you brilliant examples, advice and guidance. I think I read it within an hour and a half and that day saw how I was reacting differently to my daughter and in turn her positive behaviour towards me and the rest if our family. Excellent!!!!
on 21 August 2011
We thought, being experienced parents we knew all the tricks in the book...but our youngest isn't reading from the same book!! Pre-school recommeded this one to us and we have found it very helpful and the advice is sensible. The examples used cover many of the issues that we are having and we are working through some of them. So far,the summer has been better than expected and I think that is down to using some of the methods in this book.
This book has been very helpful when dealing with my 3 year old behaviour challenges!
I really recommend this book to all parents.
The author describes different challenging behaviours and how to deal with them.
Great buy!!!
on 31 August 2009
Really good advice and ideas for behavioural problems. Primarily looking at young children, it can also be used for older ones. We all like to be praised when doing work! Would heartily recommend.
on 27 August 2009
A refreshing book which looked at actions from the childs as well as the adult perspective.

Took a practical rather than an idlistic wiewpoint