on 5 December 2016
Great book, easy to read and goes strait to the point. As a new mum you don't have lots of spare time to read long books! You want something simple where you can easily find information when you need it and this book does just that.
If you're looking for an encyclopaedia about breastfeeding, this is not for you.
Good index to easily find the section and info you need and very compact and small, so it's very easy to carry it around and put in your hospital bag.
Sensible info and advice in the book.i really enjoyed it and still refer to it many times.
Highly recommend.
on 4 May 2013
I am going to be a mum very soon and bought this book as an insight into breast feeding. I have found this book to be rather helpful and would recommend this to anyone thinking of breast feeding. The only thing I will say is that my midwife advised not to express until 6-8 weeks until the milk flow has been regulated. I will take the information on board and tailor it to suit me and the baby.
on 1 August 2008
There is so much said about "breast is best" but some women have genuine reasons, and indeed some babies have genuine reasons, why they can't. This book tells you how to bottle feed properly, safely and reassures those mums who can't breast feed that they are infact doing a good job.
It gives you measures for how much to feed your baby and we found that invaluable (The health visitors and midwives will not tell you and the formula packet guidelines are too vague) our baby was a heavy one, and needed far more nutrition than the guidelines on the packet- by following oz per lb instead of oz per month of age, we got it right nd now he is a healthy thriving baby! INVALUABLE BOOK
on 6 December 2013
This book is really, really good. It taught me a lot in the beginning stages of breastfeeding. It's full of lots of practical tips on feeding and routines. I've already recommended it to lots of friends.
on 3 June 2012
Clare's experience with hundreds of mums clearly shows through. Her expectations are realistic in that not all mums choose to or have sufficient milk to breastfeed, and not all choose to do it for 6months as the Government currently promotes.
Clare also addresses possible problems for baby and mum. You can read this book and not feel guilty regarding any decision you make.
A happy mummy makes for a happy baby - regardless of how long you breastfeed for.

If you want further information, read her book 'What to expect when you're breastfeeding, and what if you can't' - amazing
on 13 November 2009
I have Clare Byam-Cook's other book on breastfeeding and the DVD that goes with it. Thought I'd get this book to take to hospital in my labour bag as it was smaller and all the info was condensed. Its a great book, with practical help on breastfeeding and information on bottle feeding too if you can't breastfeed. I highly recommend all of Clare's books and her DVD.
on 26 June 2014
I cant rate this product enough - it became by breastfeeding bible and helped me overcome some of the common hurdles. Highly recommended!!
on 1 October 2012
I really enjoyed reading this book. I have read Clare's other books about breastfeeding but unfortunately for my daughter and I, due to complications from her birth we were unable to continue breastfeeding. There seems to be so much information out there on breastfeeding but not much on bottle feeding and the information on forums etc can be really conflicting. This book sets out to put that straight. It's a compact little book, so I used to put it in my changing bag so I could read it when I was out and about
on 18 May 2013
It's the most innovative tips for breast feeding that I've come across after scouring many books in the library. Possibly because its American. My midwifery team have frowned on the advice as it goes against their nose to nipple teaching methods. Im yet to see what works as I haven't had the baby yet. But a lot of what this book says is just common sense. Only down point it doesn't have any illustrations so you have to use the descriptions to imagine what she is talking about.
on 27 November 2010
Great book to read in advance of starting breast feeding but also as a referene book when you start to have problems. She also does a dvd on the problems you can encounter while breastfeeding and i would strongly recommend getting this too. Really helped me a lot and was v reassuring that breastfeeding can be a difficult skill to master but with a few pointers and tweaks to techniques any problems can be recified almost immediately.