Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 February 2017
It was useful - yes. But hardly a pleasant, calming or easy to read. I found the style too much of "a boot camp", didn't find any reassurance in my own ability to listen to my instincts like i found in other books i really liked (Mindful birthing, Mindful hypnobirthing, Ina May's guide to Childbirth, The good birth companion, etc.). I found it repetitive and very supressive with the idea "the pain in unbearable and only skills from this book will help you to go through it".

What is good about this book - it mentioned the skills I've never come across like using larges muscles of legs or hands for distraction. I have no rigid opinion what will help me, i read everything and anything to get different opinions and ideas. But I would not recommend this book if you have any sort of anxiety about birth or have self doubts.
on 9 July 2017
I really really dislike this book. I find it very negative and not at all what I want to read in preparation for the birth of my second child.
It focuses a LOT on pain and using vital energy in parts of your body not used for birthing. You need to conserve energy as much as possible so the energy is being directed to the muscles of your uterus. Surely it's better to teach breathing techniques to manage pain and visualisation to relax all tension and therefore speed up the birthing process.
There is no science behind it and the way it's written really infuriates me.
I practiced Hypnobirthing with my son and will with this baby too. I highly recommend Marie Mongan's Hypnobirthing book for positive birth stories, better tips and science behind what's actually happening in the body and pain.
on 10 June 2017
I am forever indebted to Juju for this book! I had the most amazing birth experience. I was completely in control of every contraction, and I loved every minute of my empowering labour. I want to do it all over again! !
I stayed at home using the skills for much longer than I thought I would, I couldn't decide if the contractions were still just 'early not too bad ones' or if I was controlling them. When they were coming 2 minutes apart we went to hospital and I was already 5cm dilated!
The best and most empowering book I have ever read.
on 16 July 2017
I read this upon recommendation as I am expecting the birth of my first child.

I was impressed with the positive thinking, methodology and motivation that the book instilled. The book introduces some good pain management techniques but, more importantly, it teaches how to think about labour positively and how to approach the challenge.

It's an accessible read and has made me feel a lot more confident about the upcoming birth of my baby!
on 3 June 2017
Really helpful, even if I'll be adopting other techniques for birth, these book helped me feel confident about all the process.
on 2 February 2013
This book gave me a new view to labouring. Now I feel that I can do things, be active and prepared. Labouring is not just being passive and doing as you are told by the midwives. It's a practical book with many excercises. It has many pain-management techniques, but is not against epidural or other drugs. I enjoyd the stories about Jujus birth classes and hoped I could be there too. English is not my native language, but the book was easy to understand. I showed it to my "pre-natal-midwife" and she is going to buy it too.
on 16 May 2017
Great book- recommended for practical skills to take into labour. Not just breathing. Good to have as many strategies for the pain as possible!
on 27 April 2017
An excellent book with so many tips on how to deal with labour pain.
on 8 June 2017
Not particularly enlightening.
on 25 November 2016
The skills and visualisations I learned from Juju combined with the positivity I learned from reading a book about natural childbirth (try Ina May or Kathryn Clark) are what got me through labour. I had a 12 hour labour (first baby) with no need for pain relief and I spent the last 3 hours on the water. Brilliant. Should be on all birth reading lists for mum and dad. Super easy read and fantastic method. Makes sense and doesn't require the extreme mind control and constant practise of hypnobirthing. My baby is now 5 weeks old and I can honestly say I'm ready for the next labour as I have recovered and feel no trauma from the first.