Customer reviews

on 30 January 2008
I purchased this book only a week ago and already I have made some lip balms and shaving oil (for my husband). Its a fantastic book, extremely easy to follow. The items you need to purchase for most of the recipes may appear expensive initially but because you are only using small quantities at a time still make it cost effective. Highly recommended, I love it!
on 27 January 2016
Lovely book and has given me some good ideas.
on 28 February 2010
I've had this book for a couple of years now and cannot praise it highly enough. Because of the array of recipes in here, I no longer buy nappy balms, shaving lotion for my husband, cleansers or hair masks - I make them myself! I haven't yet tried making the facial moisturisers but that is next on my list. So far I have made;

Cleansing balm
Cleansing milk
Hair mask
Balm (nappy balm)
Bath oil (infused with vanilla & cinnamon)
Body cream
Shaving lotion

It is incredibly therapeutic making your own skin care, knowing exactly what's gone into in and seeing the finished product. This has also been a valuable resource in making products to give as gifts. This book has paid for itself several times over, I love it!
on 8 September 2009
Carla Oates is an inspiration, I picked up this book with no experience of handmaking natural skincare and its delighted me, within weeks i'd found a Neals Yard Remedies store near me (in Leamington Spa) and ordered a few inexpensive basics froman internet site (that she recommends in her book) to begin my new hobby.
I have taken this hobby now to Duke of Edinburgh level, passing off Carla Oates as my "Tutor".
It is easy to follow and understand even to real beginners as i say.
Ive had it for a good year now and still find it no trouble atall whipping up a bayleaf toner for the next 2 weeks. I'm making emulsion moisturizers for all my friends and shes truely got me believing that the commercial world of chemicals is evil.
If this review does not inspire you to get the book, then the youthful cover and cute size will and you'll be making natural products in no time.
on 26 September 2010
Have been reading a few book in this category (DIY Beauty recipes) and have to say this is by far the best. Also the ingredients are easily accessible. If you are a DIY beauty novice then you have to buy this book. You will not regret it. Just wish I found this book sooner!
on 4 February 2012
It's first book about aromatherapy and cosmetics making I've bought. I really like it because 1)instructions in this book are easy to follow, 2)author tells us which oils, herbs and products we should use in making cosmetics to suit our skin type, hair type, etc. 3)book is really pretty and made with quality paper. I think it is very, very nice. I didn't make any cosmetics yet, but it's only because I'm waiting for essential oils and other things to be delivered. I can't wait to try out some recipes. This book is informative, interesting, helpful, pretty and inexpensive! What more could you wish for?
on 31 January 2013
I bought this for my daughter who has had a lot of problems with ready made toiletries and cosmetics. It has been a godsend. The recipes are clear, no fuss and straightforward and most, if not all, require only simple and readily available ingredients, not just essential oils but everyday stuff like milk, yoghurt, honey, oats etc. They are also comprehensive and there is good advice on what's best for which type of skin.
We have tested a lot of the recipes and have yet to be disappointed. I wish I had bought this years ago.
on 27 November 2010
I've tried 4 of the recipes now and they have all worked well. Excellent book for anyone who'd like to make their own beauty products without all the nasty chemicals
on 19 December 2012
The only bible you'll ever need to make gorgeous, but natural cosmetic products. Mine is heavily worn. Everything I have tried works brilliantly. A lot of easy recipes to start off with if you are just dipping your toes in, but plenty to progress further. Love it! Thank you for this great little book!
on 3 May 2014
Great book. Very good ways of making your own creams and masks... awesome and I learnt so much that I didn't know before