Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 September 2009
Carla Oates is an inspiration, I picked up this book with no experience of handmaking natural skincare and its delighted me, within weeks i'd found a Neals Yard Remedies store near me (in Leamington Spa) and ordered a few inexpensive basics froman internet site (that she recommends in her book) to begin my new hobby.
I have taken this hobby now to Duke of Edinburgh level, passing off Carla Oates as my "Tutor".
It is easy to follow and understand even to real beginners as i say.
Ive had it for a good year now and still find it no trouble atall whipping up a bayleaf toner for the next 2 weeks. I'm making emulsion moisturizers for all my friends and shes truely got me believing that the commercial world of chemicals is evil.
If this review does not inspire you to get the book, then the youthful cover and cute size will and you'll be making natural products in no time.
on 28 February 2010
I've had this book for a couple of years now and cannot praise it highly enough. Because of the array of recipes in here, I no longer buy nappy balms, shaving lotion for my husband, cleansers or hair masks - I make them myself! I haven't yet tried making the facial moisturisers but that is next on my list. So far I have made;

Cleansing balm
Cleansing milk
Hair mask
Balm (nappy balm)
Bath oil (infused with vanilla & cinnamon)
Body cream
Shaving lotion

It is incredibly therapeutic making your own skin care, knowing exactly what's gone into in and seeing the finished product. This has also been a valuable resource in making products to give as gifts. This book has paid for itself several times over, I love it!
on 30 January 2008
I purchased this book only a week ago and already I have made some lip balms and shaving oil (for my husband). Its a fantastic book, extremely easy to follow. The items you need to purchase for most of the recipes may appear expensive initially but because you are only using small quantities at a time still make it cost effective. Highly recommended, I love it!
on 26 September 2010
Have been reading a few book in this category (DIY Beauty recipes) and have to say this is by far the best. Also the ingredients are easily accessible. If you are a DIY beauty novice then you have to buy this book. You will not regret it. Just wish I found this book sooner!
on 4 February 2012
It's first book about aromatherapy and cosmetics making I've bought. I really like it because 1)instructions in this book are easy to follow, 2)author tells us which oils, herbs and products we should use in making cosmetics to suit our skin type, hair type, etc. 3)book is really pretty and made with quality paper. I think it is very, very nice. I didn't make any cosmetics yet, but it's only because I'm waiting for essential oils and other things to be delivered. I can't wait to try out some recipes. This book is informative, interesting, helpful, pretty and inexpensive! What more could you wish for?
on 31 January 2013
I bought this for my daughter who has had a lot of problems with ready made toiletries and cosmetics. It has been a godsend. The recipes are clear, no fuss and straightforward and most, if not all, require only simple and readily available ingredients, not just essential oils but everyday stuff like milk, yoghurt, honey, oats etc. They are also comprehensive and there is good advice on what's best for which type of skin.
We have tested a lot of the recipes and have yet to be disappointed. I wish I had bought this years ago.
As this was my first time into making my own skincare I would have liked a bit more about technique. This book provided some really nice recipes but if you don't have experience in this don't buy this book. It provided only a very basic introduction on methods of mixing etc and with no hints or tips on what to do when things appear to go wrong and how to recover your product without having to waste it and throw it away. A few pictures might have been nice.

It basically has short intros on ingredients and methods and 80% of the book is recipes only.

I would recommend Make Your Own Skin Care Products: How to Create a Range of Nourishing and Hydrating Skin Care Products as this has some great recipes, explains them better and touches upon what might go wrong and how to rescue it.

This book is useful only as a recipe book for products once you know what you are doing.
on 29 June 2016
I love this book, has made me take a completely different view towards looking after my skin, and the products I put on it. Carla's recipes are very easy to make and have made a big difference to my skin. The only reason I'm not giving 5 stars is because it doesn't tell you how much each recipe makes i.e. what size jar/pot do you need. If this could be addressed in future editions this would be great.
on 20 December 2011
As I have a desire to use as many natural things as possible on my body, rather than products containing lots of chemicals, I bought this book to read. Already I am fascinated by the simple yet effective ideas and recipes inside. My friends all want to borrow it but I am encoraging them to buy their own as I haven't finished enjoying it myself yet! There is so much practical information given on what your skin needs and how to supply that in simple natural ways. The index of ailments at the end is a quick and useful way to look up specific treatments for a particular condition or problem. If you want to feed your skin in a natural way, buy this book.
on 26 April 2015
Some of these recipes are really great - I liked the Eve Lom-style exfoliating face pack and the olive oil lime face pack - but a few of them are total misses - the lip gloss recipe was a disaster, the quantities were all wrong and I ended up with a big slimy mess all over my desk.

All in all, it's a fun, informative and easy to use book, but you should test the recipes first before you make them as presents for other people.