Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 January 2014
Unfortunately did not find the book particularly useful. Some valid points but mostly common sense advice. Saying that this is a first book I read on potty training so difficult to compare.
on 6 October 2013
Enjoyed this book. Nice laid back style to potty training. I have been following the techniques for a week and son is making brilliant progress. Delighted.
on 20 October 2010
This book is written in simple terms and most of it makes complete sense, although I'm not too sure that I would like to encourage my son to pee in the garden!!! The idea of potty training sessions is quite good although as these are only an hour long my son still hasn't managed a wee on the potty as a) he seems to be scared of it and b) he never really needs a wee in the short space of time. I have learnt from the book that he really isn't mentally ready for potty training yet and I'm now going to leave it for another few months then try again but he's very stubborn!! Hopefully I will have more luck when he gets closer to 3, he's 2yrs 8mths at the moment. On the whole not a bad book at all but I would also suggest not moving from step to step too quickly.
on 7 August 2016
We bought this book because we have been experiencing problems potty training our son. This book has some great tips and ideas in and I especially like the relaxed approach it takes to potty training however it hasn't worked for us. Let me set the scene for you so you can better understand why it is not right for us - our son will happily sit on the potty or toilet until he actually needs to go when he jumps up and says "no no" . He will then hold his wee in until he either has an accident or is so uncomfortable we have to put a nappy on him. We were so worried that we bought this book to see if there was anything in it that could help explain why this is happening.The section with troubleshooting tips and "when your child doesn't fit the mould" doesn't cover anything about what to do if your son is terrified of weeing in both the potty and toilet and holds his wee in. The only advice it seems to give is that they might not be "mentally mature enough" and to retry in a few weeks and say "maybe later" if he still doesn't seem ready. Well there are only so many times you can say "maybe later" before it starts to drive you mad. Our son is showing all the signs of being ready and tells us often he needs to go and will sit down, pull his pants down and wait to go. He asks to wear pants and doesn't like his nappy but is physically terrified of the thought of actually doing anything in the . If you are experiencing similar problems to us then this book is not for you. If you are just starting potty training then it is a very useful book.
on 27 January 2014
in the end the best advice was, wait until your child is almost 3. Then give them a shower every time they have an accident and they'll soon learn not to have an accident if they don't like having a shower! Worked for both my boys within 48 hours!!
on 16 March 2015
After an unsuccessful attempt at potty training during summer 2014 I bought this book in November and my husband and I both read it. It made perfect sense so I started following the suggested menthol. It worked very well but it's now March and our son still hasn't used the potty or toilet to poo in. What makes it even more frustrating is that he does at nursery! I guess he'll get there eventually but in the mean time I'll just keep washing out pooey pants or throwing them away when they're too revolting.
on 25 July 2014
Totally invaluable. A quick read, logical and insightful (helpfully provides a simple physiological guide with boys and their bodies and minds which is so useful). This gave me the extra confidence needed and peace of mind by offering a realistic approach without feeling pressure to get it done in a week. Small steps to a big end goal; personally I felt each part was an achievement due to this rather just thinking the v end was. If you have a boy it's a must.
on 10 June 2015
This book was ok but didn't help us with potty training at all. I skim read it in a very short time but it wasn't helpful for us (maybe because we have the most stubborn child ever!) I'm sure it does have some good tips and different things work for different people.
on 16 February 2012
I only just bought a potty and finished reading the book last week. My son is turning 2 in a couple of weeks and I wanted to feel more prepared to what to expect for potty training boys.
I heard all kind of horror stories and I am glad I bought this book.
It states clearly
- what you can do to hel your child
- what you can expect at the different step of potty training
When I finished reading it, I had 2 thoughts: firstly the dad must read it absolutely, secondly I will need the book near by when I start to remind me of steps and what to do.
it is not 'buy the book and it will happen' this is a guidance and you can take what you want from it. I would buy it for someone else, definitely. And now I am not scrarred of potty training any more. I picture David and Victoria Beckham doing it and it seems easy enough.
on 1 December 2016
All just common sense really. I was so nervous about potty training, but as with everything child related just trust your instincts! A book doesn't really help with this.