on 14 June 2007
after the amount of cool things in this book, the small number of things to do in the dangerous book for boys is disappointing. but both books are good in their own way i guess.

the layout of this book, is clearer too, done in a nice compact way, its easy to see what to do, and experiments range from testing acids and alkali to making a a battery, an electromagnet, how to make a 'bicarb volcano'(though i knew how to do this already its cool that it has the instructions cheap when the ready made kits can be relatively expensive).

apparently we can also extract dna from a vegetable - i'm really amazed by this-and if this is true, its worth the book price alone for me. i am looking forward to trying it-i just need to get some meat tenderiser...
on 3 July 2012
Incredible experiments - I don't think so. There is nothing incredible in the whole book!

The book is a hardback - true enough. The paper between the hard backs is really poor quality. Print and diagrams are also poor.

The experimental content is Primary School level. No disrespect to Primary Schools.
How this could absorb anyone is beyond me.

As for my copy - it hasn't lasted an afternoon before ending up in the charity shop.
Total waste of money.
on 25 August 2010
Sorry to put a damper on things but I bought this based on the positive reviews and it really doesn't come up to expectations. There's nothing 'incredible' in the 'experiments' described here; most are rehashed from other similar books, some are outright dangerous (in a bad way, ie could harm the user) and some are just pointless. It may amuse a pre-teen child but that's about it. On a more positive note, the shed laboratory pages are amusing.
on 20 June 2013
My niece tells me that my grand nephew (11 years) and his sister (6) were absorbed the entire afternoon and all she could hear were the comments "cool" and "uurgh sick" as they flicked through the book.. They plan to make a volcano and a rocket with their father's help over the weekend. The eldest has almost a book phobia and if this gets him interested in reading and practical science then I shall be delighted. It will certainly bring the family together.
Update. Both projects were completed and both children are still absorbed in the book. It has kept them entertained throughout the school holidays.
on 19 April 2011
I found some good tricks here to use in class to grab kids interest. Interesting reading and some fun things to try with your kids.
on 5 January 2014
Something a bit different for the man who is difficult to buy for.
A "dip-in" book with lots of quirky things to do,
on 1 November 2015
Brilliant little book. Hoping to try many of these experiments out over the winter in my "Man Cave"
on 3 January 2015
See my review for 101 Things to do in a Shed, bought for my husband.
on 16 May 2013
I bought this for my son, but of course my husband hasn't parted with it yet! He reckons it's for any man, shed not a prerequisite!
on 10 February 2009
Never read it myself as bought for a gift but recipient seemed to enjoy it.