Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 April 2017
Had this book for my first child and now purchased it for my second such a great step by step guide and lovely recipes and very imformative!
on 14 April 2015
I didn't find this book helpful. The author's approach to weaning is not flexible and too many rigid rules.
It is also a bit old book and as we know, the guidelines on babies weaning do change so often.
Maybe an updated version would be good.
No illustrations of the recipes inside the book which makes it harder for the first time parents.
on 26 March 2017
But very good if you just take a few of the suggestions on board.
on 16 March 2017
Not as helpful as I had hoped
on 4 March 2017
Good book for first time parents.
on 8 May 2015
GF is great. This comes with basic recipes, a starter outline for what to give your baby for the weaning process and most helpful of all (I found) was the glossary of main foods at the back of the book which details what age to give each food, ideas on how to cook it, what to add it it to, etc. GF is not bossy at all but down to earth and helpful - I imagine her like the village midwife, if we all lived like our ancestors used to!! Great book and easy to flick through when needed every once in a while.
on 13 August 2010
I bought this book after using Gina Ford's Contented Little Baby book with success. My local clinic had cancelled their weaning classes and, as a first time mum, I didn't really know where to start. I followed Gina's weaning plan to the letter for the first couple of months when I started my daughter on solids at 6 months, followed by more of a "baby-led weaning" approach as we both became more confident and I couldn't be happier with the results. My daughter is 12 months old now. She will eat absolutely anything and can feed herself. She has not been eating pureed food for a long time now, preferring her food just to be cut into manageable chunks. She even loves all types of veggies!

I really valued Gina's advice on nutrition, the way her plan progresses quickly from baby rice to more substantial foods and the way she encourages you to feed your baby a good variety of healthy, home-made foods. She also gives excellent advice on how and when to cut down on milk feeds. I know Gina Ford isn't everyone's cup of tea but I have found her weaning advice invaluable.
on 31 January 2009
This was my 2nd of 4 Gina Ford purchases. As a first time Mum, I found this book to be the answer to all my questions regarding weaning. With day by day instructions, it really is the idiots guide to weaning your baby onto solids. Highly recommended! (And Gina, if you're reading this, you owe me some serious commission ;o) Have recommended your books to everyone I know.)
on 12 December 2009
This book has been very good for me as I didn't have a clue about weaning and what to give my daughter. I know I wanted to make as much myself as possible and this book is a great structure to work with. You can take as much or as little as you like from it. I follow it mainly but use some different fruit and veg (peas instead of green beans as they are a sod to puree properly).
I would recommend to other first time Mum's to give you confidence until you've got the hang of it.
on 25 September 2008
Like many people who have not read her books, I approached a Gina Ford book with caution - but the things said about her writing are not borne out by this book. I found it very useful as a good guide to when and how to introduce solids. The recipes are very quick and easy and my baby likes them. As with any advice book you need to apply your own common sense and not get hung up on following it to the letter. I had started weaning my baby and was all at sea with when to give her food, how much etc and this book has set me straight. I would definitely recommend it.