Learn more Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 August 2006
This is a year in the life of self confessed sex fiend Abby Lee. Although non fiction, I agree with the previous reviewer; I don't believe it wasn't embellished along the way. If her sex life is really that busy, I don't know how she had the time to work/write her diary/eat etc. However if she has made some of it up, her imagination is impressive.

Having said that, I found it an easy, captivating and entertaining read which made me laugh out loud in a few places, plus I learned quite a few things! I think men might find it a useful insight into the female psyche regarding sex as well as doubtless enjoying the descriptions of her antics.

The diary is interspersed with useful 'guide' sections for both men and women. These I thought were particularly funny, rather than instructive. Her philosophising, particularly regarding the differences between men and women, was perhaps the most enjoyable part of the book for me. Also, as a woman myself, I applaud her for being open about topics that other writers and womens' magazines shy away from. She is certainly a font of knowledge and opinion and I can see a career as a sex therapist beckoning.

I've only given it three stars because, as a book, I found I was getting tired of it towards the end. I think her writing style and subject matter is far better suited to the format of the blog, with its links and interactions, which I think is very good. I'd recommend reading some of that before buying this book.
on 3 August 2006
What a pleasant suprise, OK (and yes I am man), I don't normally read what I would consider a traditional 'chick' book but this one came highly recommended from one of my best friends.

Abby is set to transfer her fame from the Internet (where the content of this book was first published) to the written word. She is funny, open and honest about her life as a self proclaimed 'sex fiend'. This book started out life as a Web Log (blog) detailing Abby's life and the things she got up to.

I challenge anyone not find laugh out loud moments whilst reading this book as well as some very embaressing moments when you read them in the middle of a crowded commuter train (I have never tried so hard to cover up what I was reading as I did with this book).

Read this book as a man and you get a very graphic view of the modern female psyche (and to my next girlfriend, you have Abby to blame for the things I did last night !).

PS Also visit her on-line blog site and get a head start on volume 2 in the series - already I am hooked.......
0Comment| 111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 September 2007
I found this book to be well written, entertaining, intelligent and honest.

If you have a high sex drive or just intrigued to get inside the mind of a girl who does - then read this. Personally I found it great to read that someone feels (and sometimes acts!) the same as I do - and I'm sure there are many, many women out there who agree.

I am saddened and shocked (hmmm, ok, saddened- not shocked) that there are people reading this and then labelling the author a 'slag' or 'whore'. I do not think there is enough space in this short review to adequately explain how much that infuriates me.
on 23 November 2006
I was so excited about getting this book. I have read Abby's blog for ages and thought that a book form might be eye opening to say the least. The problem is that the blog, as it is read in small doses, is OK (coffee break passing the time type of thing). The book, however, is too much. The writing style is appalling, the subject matter repetitive, and in fact the main character comes across as a Psychiatrist's wet dream. And that is no compliment. I was so disappointed. I don't thinik a book has disappointed me more in the past couple of years.
on 13 April 2007
I cannot believe that people are rating this book badly.... They're taking it all far too seriously! It's a great book, a real page turner, funny, naughty, makes your girly bits tingle and well worth a read.

I'm sure when she wrote it, it wasn't intended to then receive peoples opinions as to whether she's a "slag" or not!! Grow up! We're not at school now!

An independent, strong minded woman that's probably scaring the pants of most men (those being the ones who've yet to discover the female orgasm!!).

I say, buy this book!!

It was recommended to me by a male friend, and we're still quoting pages to each other!
on 17 November 2006
I bought this book on the strength of the positive reviews and I have to say I find it hard to believe that it is the same book. I have been reading all my life (quite a long time!) and as far as I can remember this is only the second book I have been unable to finish. Perhaps it didn't help that I had just finished the brilliant "Taming the Beast" by Emily Maguire which was such a tough act to follow.

I approach every book with an open mind and my reasons for disliking it are certainly nothing to do with those in the poorly judged rant entitled "Are your lives so boring.........," submitted by another "reviewer".

Although the book sounds good in theory, I found that it became tedious very quickly. The main problem is that it soon becomes very repetitive. If the prospective reader wishes to read a book written in the style of a diary that labours the point about how desperate the author is for a shag, then this could be ideal. Yes, there is more to it that than that, but not much.

Whilst the use of such a limited selection of words may work fine for a diary or blog, a book demands more variety. The subject matter becomes irrelevant when the writing style is so lacklustre.
on 30 August 2008
Hmmm. I tried to like this book, I tried to like Abby, but doesn't read as a book it reads as the diary of a lonely teenaged girl with a vivid imagination and an idea that the word frig is scandalous. It's not, just frigging irritating when repeated too often.

I'm not a great blog fan but I can see how snippets of this 'world' would fill a coffee break or dull morning at the office beautifully it's just...not very real. Ultimately a real life confessional should feature a little glimpse of a real life. Abby didn't seem to have one. Or friends. It came across as a little sad and hollow. There's nothing titillating about loneliness.
on 25 June 2007
This is a tightly written, sexy book and a fun read. I could tell it had come from a blog but I knew that when I bought the book and I read it with that in mind. It's a series of thrilling and funny adventures, well observed, and this woman can definitely write.

I find it slightly offensive that so many reviewers have chosen to label the writer a whore or slag. Hello? Get with the 21st century. It's really quite sad that these kinds of terms are still being used for highly sexual women. They are one step behind 'witch' in my opinion. And what does any of this personal slagging off have to do with the book?

If you are interested in reading some sexy tight prose and finding out a little more about the human condition, buy the book. If you want to run around pointing and shouting slag, then find yourself a handy school playground and don't bother reading anything.
55 Comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 September 2006
This is Brigitte Jones Diary how it should have been done! I found it both exciting and really sweet too, although I don't think for one minute that even a small minority of women actually get up to the kind of fun and games she has done. I also don't doubt that many more would love to if they had her guts!

I know a few women who have read it and enjoyed it, I just found myself intrigued and laughing a lot, sometimes a few tears too! Well worth a read and an eye opener for us men!
on 1 May 2007
I really loved this book and everyone I've shown it to has too. If you just want to read the juicy bits, of which there are many, then you can read it by flicking through. But the book does also have a plot which will keep you hooked through out.

If you are the kind of person who likes to know what others are thinking about things you are too scared to ask through fear of what they might say, then read this book.

Beware, if you look anything like the girl on the front cover, I wouldn't recommend reading it on the train. You will get quite a few odd looks!