Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

on 23 September 2011
I wish I had this book before my baby was born rather than at 6 weeks. Although it was still worth getting at 6 weeks and probably up to 10 weeks. Easy to read as you can read one week at a time rather than looking through a massive book and trying to find the sections you need. Gives the range for the amount of formula needed each week and tips for play and development.
on 3 June 2014
My wife and I found this book absolutely ESSENTIAL reading.
The book was recommended to us by a friend as it was our first baby. Having a baby is complicated and confusing and the first baby will surprise you in so many ways.
It prepares you for what's in store so you don't end up rushing your baby to A&E just because there's something strange in its nappy, or because it makes strange suffocating noises in its sleep.
Whenever our son did something odd we just checked the book and found that it was completely normal which was very reassuring.

Due to the gentle guidance provided throughout the book we feel that we have raised our son to be a very happy and healthy toddler. He's now 18 months old and he's on top form.
He eats, sleeps and plays well.
We found this book so useful that we bought the sequel: ' Baby to Toddler - month by month'.
Some of our friends are having their first babies and we've strongly recommended that they read this book.
on 22 April 2011
This was the best baby book ever, it has saved our life ever week over the past 24 and I am gutted that it will no longer be our constant companion.

It is the opposite of every other book I read, calm, reassuring and moderate without the hysterical patronising tone that is prevelant in so much of the other baby books.

top recommended read for a new baby!
on 20 September 2016
Actively promotes child abuse in the form of 'controlled crying'. A crying baby should not be seen as an inconvenience and a behaviour which should be trained out of them! Allowing your young baby to cry until the point of vomitting is disgraceful!
on 24 July 2010
This book was given to me by my mother-in-law and it was just the ticket - educational, to the point and something we could skim over at 4am when our three week old baby was having green poos! I have since bought this for all of my friends who have had babies. They have all reported back and said it was the best present, and an absolute life saver at those 3 in the morning panics!
on 4 May 2009
My husband & I like this book. People may have reviewed that it was stating the obvious, that what your baby is doing is normal, but it's still very nice to read that. The amount written for each week is suitable, a reasonably short length, so you actually have time to read it each week ! I will buy this for my friends. Very glad I bought it.
on 27 July 2011
I read all the reviews before purchasing and I'm so glad I listened. This book has been very useful so far. It definitely helps when I'm in doubt, although I always double check everything with doctor or nurses when I see them. It really does help build confidence in looking after your baby. Especially as I'm a first time mom!
on 6 June 2013
We bought this book (and a few others!) before the birth of our first baby and it was the most useful one we've read. Unlike most it is not a "how-to" guide to make your baby sleep/eat/stop crying. It simply takes you through each week (one week per chapter) and tells you the kind of things your baby may be doing this week. Each chapter starts with a brief set of statistics for that week (average number of hours of sleep/crying, average number of dirty/wet nappies, number of breast feeds or amount of milk per bottle, other useful facts) and then covers each area of baby care in more detail. It also includes a "what is happening to mum" section each week. We liked this book because with a new baby we could read one chapter per week (which was all we really had time to do!) and found it very reassuring that our baby was falling within the average range for his age. The book is not offering advice on how to modify your baby's behaviour, so there is none of the guilt or frustration we had with some of the other books when we couldn't get the advice given to work. It simply gives an idea of what is likely to happen in a given week, but also reassures that all babies progress at their own pace and a range of behaviour is normal. The only down side is that the book does not cover the whole year! Overall a very helpful and reassuring book for first time parents, highly recommended.
on 19 January 2011
This is such a fantastic book, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to any new parent. My daughter is 14 weeks old now and this book has been spot on every week so far. It is easy to read and understand, doesnt make you feel guilty and gives great advice without being preachy!I really don't know what we would have done without it!
on 13 August 2015
Good for clueless mums. First few weeks was helpful but then quite repetitive and most mums would know what to do by then. Didn't like the fact that six months was labelled at 24 weeks (a year is 52 weeks, six months is 26 weeks - simple maths). And hated the section advocating the sleep training and controlled crying - made me lose all credibility to the book.