Customer reviews

1,227
Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 March 2017
Very good book for people who actually want to understand how to behave to gain success. Some of the things they reccomend might be a bit obvious but they make you understand what is the mechanism - why it works. Worth buying & easy read. The book I have purchased was super cheap because it was a supposed to be used version, but it actually came new, which was a great surprise.
on 23 July 2016
wonderful book, I'd like to advise to read to anybody, doesn't relly matter if you've got friends or not, it's not about that! If you stick to the principles in the book, you will notice that people become more co-operative, friendly, and you genuinely appreciate you more. And it's really easy to follow these simple rules because they make so much sense.
I didn't read the book to make friends, but you do find people genuinely being more friendly towards you and listening to your point of view.
I think everyone should read this book. The title has become a bit of a catch phrase and a cliche, but it hasn't sold 16 million copies for nothing.
Buy it. Read it. And you'll probably end up recommending it to someone else.
A classic and a must-have, this timeless piece of work can help just about anybody get along better with others and win them over to their way of thinking. Don't have a lot of time to spare? Don't worry. The book is divided into short sections, each one devoted to a particular principle that is well illustrated with many practical examples. In this way, you can read a chapter quickly, stop and do other things you have to do if necessary, and get back to the book when you have time- all without losing continuity.

Thoroughly entertaining by using fun and interesting examples, I don't think many readers will regret checking this one out.
on 20 July 2017
This is an interesting book. You probably want to know if it "works" and will make you rich.

In short it definitely works although a lot of it is common sense but common sense we all regularly ignore and avoid.

Will it make you rich, on its own no but if you implement the principles then quite possibly.

More than anything I think this book needs to be treated as a sort of bible and repeatedly read over and over again (for months) to re-train your mind.
on 29 October 2015
I have to say overall I am impressed. I'm quite academic so warmed to the idea of a social textbook. I think slowly I am introducing things discussed in the book into my life and I am noticing little changes.

I do see flaws in his system though e.g. the last section "how to change people" may work well in a professional leadership role but I would feel manipulative if I used it in my personal life. I also prefer to think of the "How to win people to your way of thinking" as how to get people to consider your point of view. It does teach you to be a people pleaser too so I feel I'd have to have a journal to vent in and some me time ( down time from socialising) to avoid burning out.

I think it is a testament to how important the principles are that the book is still relevant all these years later. I would urge you to read the full book rather than just the principles from a website though as the examples do give extra meaning.

Do I think the principles should be taught at school ?
I think it certainly wouldn't hurt I felt my own schooling though it lacked for little academically didn't teach me many people skills at all. A re write with more modern examples (perhaps not so predominantly american) would also be interesting. It isn't as no one thing often is a "cure all" but alongside other resources and with individual interpretation it is none the less a valuable read.
on 23 March 2016
This book was enlightening. It teaches one how to approach life positively yet diplomatically. Not just socially but within the family. I have practised the things the author teaches and to very good effect. Simple every day interactions with fellow human beings who would never ordinarily listen to my opinions because they are polar opposites of their own and yet the results have been amazing!
This life skills book deserves every one of those five stars. Buy it read it and be prepared to apply much of what you learn in your own life as you will without even realising you are doing so. It is profound. I wish I had discovered it in my twenties four decades ago!
on 6 March 2017
I'm giving this book 5 stars for at least giving some sound grounding for social interactions! well structured with great tips.
on 12 July 2017
A must buy for people who want to gain confidence in order to interact with people
and change from being an introvert to an extrovert.
It makes you understand different options which can be chosen depending on the circumstance.
Found it at a cheaper price over here as compared to other retail stores.

[...]
on 3 May 2014
Read, mark, learn and inwardly digest this book. It is in parts cynical, in the nicest possible way, and constitutes a complete guide to how to manipulate others for your own advantage.

If you are not planning to manipulate anyone any time soon, but prefer to have a blazing row instead, do not waste your time.

Equally, this book will let you spot those who would flatter and seduce you for their own purposes.

Such a book comes recommended to the young for study and application and judgment. I wish I had read it twenty years ago, but it is perhaps as well that I had not. The are some mistakes that are better made and learned the hard way.
on 17 November 2016
I love this book!

Probably one of the most practical, helpful and insightful books I've ever read. A classic that still stands strong long after it was initially written back in the 1930's.
on 24 August 2014
The best book I have ever read. For years I heard of this masterpiece but decided to leave it because dated. It was a mistake because it is super and I would have liked to understand that earlier!
The best pieces of advice on how to get along with people - ANY people! - and be successful in any field. If people like you, all the doors open magically for you.
Highly recommended for people who have issues with their relationships, find it hard to network, have a business or are want to understand how social relationships work.