on 22 August 2010
This book is a must have if like me you know food is creating havoc in your body. This book was recommended to me by the dietician I am seeing for IBS among a myriad of other things. It is hard at first and you will get the caffiene withdrawal headache from hell but stick with it and you will be surprised at the difference it can make. Even my concentration improved.
I have just begun the re introduction phase and again it can be daunting but I believe it will help me finally identify foods that my body doesn't like as opposed to ones I am or could be allergic to.
on 13 June 2010
This book was recommended to me by my consultatnt when I was diagnosed with diverticular disease. It is easy to follow and expertly helped to diagnose the exact triggers to my symptoms. Highly recommended!
on 21 February 2014
The book seems to be very informative, but I am very frustrated with my Kindle version, as the many lists of foods are too small for me to read and adjusting the font has no effect on them. Without knowing what I should be eating and eliminating it's useless!
on 6 October 2014
50% of this book is recipes if I wanted a recipe book I would have gone to the cookery section!, nice attempt but the author is streets behind latest research in food and gut related issues. Having just read the whals protocol, this book is left bobbing around in the wake in comparison. Lacks clinical references and hard facts. The fact that sugar is on the allowed list turned me off instantly! I still can not get over the fact that Kendal mint cake is allowed. Don't they understand that glucose is the last thing you want in IBS , crohn's/inflammatory bowel disease.
on 14 November 2010
i have had IBS and all the traditional medicines and dietary advice did not work so i was advised to go on an exclusion diet. This is written by the team at addenbrooks hospital i could have been refered to, so I decided to follow the book at home. I have had no 'unexpected problems' except if i introduce a food that I react to. This means now i can lead a normal life and not worry about being more than 10 minutes from home or toilet! This is an excellent practical book and i would recommend it to anyone who has food problems or sensitivities. I have tried other books to some effect but this is written by medically trained professionals who deal with these conditions on a daily basis and it really works.
on 24 August 2002
You are what you eat, or so they say. However, the food we think is good for us can actually cause us more harm than good. The New Allergy Diet is a useful tool in diagnosing suspected food intolerance. It is informative without being too academic and the diet is very simple to follow. The book includes recipes for the period of the diet, so you do not have to be a genius in the kitchen to make meals out of the allowed foods. I would recommend this book for anyone who suspects they have a food intolerance.
on 1 September 2011
Although a bit old (reason for only 4 stars - ****), this book provides a lot of information - things I did not know before reading it. I am aware now of the problems of food intolerance, and would be able to recognise it if it happened and act accordingly. There are many interesting recipes in this book, as well.

One thing I inferred from reading this book is that we can easily have problems of food intolerance if we eat too much of the same thing all the time. It appears to me that, as omnivores, human beings can eat many things and must eat a little bit of everything - variety is important for nutrition and to avoid food intolerance. Have you ever noticed that only those people that cannot afford variety eat the same thing every day - and have digestive problems? Those that can afford can eat a variety of things - and avoid digestive problems...

I also bought a book of the same author on IBS - Irritable Bowel Syndrome (the books have some overlap), which is more appropriate for my needs and up-to-date (*****).
on 12 February 2014
I bought the kindle version of this & found it a little difficult to get used to not being able to fick the pages back & forth to the recipes as a lot of links & references are made to other parts of the book.
As a start to finding out about the Elimination diet I found it very useful & have tried out some of the recipes which are great.
on 26 December 2010
Any one with Crohns will agree that anything is worth a shot. I got no relief from the methods set out in this book yet others may. Very informative and written by a prfessor in the field.
on 18 July 2015
Not the best book in the world, but very useful, interesting and informative on what to eat to aviod some problems with my metabolism, so it's worthy of 5 stars to me.