Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 March 2017
This sequel was much better and funnier than the first book. I really enjoyed it and found myself wanting to read more and more.
This book carries on from the first one - 'From Here To Maternity' and gives us an hilarious insight into Mel's family life. It rustles along at a swift pace and I found myself just wanting to read, 'just one more chapter'!!
It was full of wit and had me laughing quite a lot!!
A really nice and easy read, full of cringe worthy but hilarious life moments.
A must read for any mum!!
VINE VOICEon 23 February 2011
Having a two-month-old boy I thought that this book might resonate with me and it most certainly did! The book really deals with the first year or so of Mel's life with her newborn (although most of the first six months are skipped over in a haze; stuck to the brown sofa eating custard creams and watching TV.) When Mel ventures out in search of adult conversation and with the hope of meeting other mothers, she gets slightly more than she bargained for; a strange music group, Victorian themed children's parties, selling `fisherman inspired' children's clothing and evenings out with horribly competitive Mums. Whilst all this is going on she is also trying to cope with her husbands attempts to rekindle their sex-life, move house, find work and cope with two Latvian lodgers.

I think most new Mums will find something in this book that resonates and I'd also recommend it to pregnant first time Mums who might have more realistic expectations of what life is like after you've given birth (the lie about breastfeeding making you regain your pre-pregnancy shape in a matter of weeks seems to be widespread!)

My only criticism was that the book is described in the introductory notes as being `slightly fictionalised' and this was pretty obvious. Some of the set pieces were a bit predictable and too convenient to feel true and for me this was to the detriment of the book, Nevertheless, I'd recommend it as a light read (especially when you're up to you ears in used nappies and formula!)
on 26 February 2007
This is the sequel to Mel's first book, From Here To Maternity, and they are similar enough that it's fair to say that if you enjoyed the first one, you'll enjoy the second one just as much. That said, there are some key differences.

The first thing that is obvious is that the experience of doing the first book has left her a better writer. The structure is far better in this sequel, and I found the laugh out loud moments were built up better than in FHTM. Mel's writing style is natural, personable and flows well. The only negative point is that the ending is a bit flat and seemed to come out of nowhere, although I suppose that's only natural given that the subject matter in the first book led to an obvious finale.

The second point is that this book is darker than the original - I guess whether that is a good or a bad thing depends on your tastes, but I found that some of it (especially the frequent drug references and the fairly bleak final few chapters) made the book less likable than FHTM overall. Whether the darker tone was intentional or not I don't know, but if there is a third book to come (and I hope there is!), I'd prefer more of the cheeky sense of fun that the first book had to make a return.

Other than that, the rest is what you'd expect - good gags, an eye for absurdity and characters, and a lot of smart one-liners. Highly recommended (even if I do think FHTM is just a tiny bit more likeable).
on 20 March 2014
I should point out right from the start that I hate 'chick lit' and would much prefer to be curled up with a good old crime novel. I do read and enjoy biographies though.

So I bought this book because I love Mel on the TV and definitely think I have a similar sense of humour to her. I also have a 2 year old and am also trying for our second. So I thought I'd love this book.

It was OK. Funny in parts and can really imagine her being like that in some of the situations (although as other reviews have said it's clearly fictionalised - no one could have that much going off). I identified with some of it, although the whole sitting around eating biscuits thing - she actually had time for that?! When I had a newborn, I was either dealing with him, catching up on sleep, or cleaning the house. And I worry that a first time mum reading this would be put off baby groups - I've been to two and neither were remotely like that one. Admittedly, there are some crazy mum's (one I met made her poor baby a sugar-free first birthday cake... really?? for your daughter's first birthday?? Poor kid) but there are always some that you can relate to and I think it's important to get out the house and mix with other adults!

So on the whole I felt this book fell into the common trap of books aimed at women that makes the main character neurotic, weak and a bit daft. I had to force myself to finish it in the end because Mel annoyed me in it with her constant self doubt. I'm sure she's not like that in reality.

I'd say worth a read, but only if you're brain is still in the post-baby-mush stage - think I'd left it a bit long after my baby!
on 26 April 2017
A great read
on 20 July 2006
Even better than Mel Giedroyc's first book From Here to Maternity: funnier, pacier, better structured. She has a superb eye for detail and the story really rockets along. Rare combination of a page-turner and a REALLY good laugh!
on 30 September 2006
Not many books make me laugh out loud: this one did from start to finish. A must-read for every less-than-perfect mum who has had to deal with the deadly politics of the school playground.
on 20 February 2008
hmm, not sure i agree with the other reviewers. Yes, there were several laugh-out-loud moments but do these characters really exist? it read to me more like a Sophie Kinsella Shopaholic book, funny but full of completely one-sided, unreal characters who would never exist in real life. i just felt the author was trying a bit hard to be funny that she missed out a lot of other, more real stuff about her experiences of motherhood that to me would have been much more interesting. and her baby hardly seems to get a look-in!
on 30 May 2011
There are very few positives that can be taken from this book, the main one being that it made this reader feel like a ruddy good mother. Another being that it unintentionally goes far to disprove the common thought that an older mother is a better one. There are also a few laugh out loud moments but unfortunately they are largely over-shadowed by the grim and miserable feel of the book.
There are many unnecessary references to drugs throughout the book which seem to glorify irresponsibility, and though nearly all mothers will once in a while look wistfully into the past and feel a need for freedom, the majority would generally quash that thought quite quickly and remember what a blessing children are.
There is quite a memorable moment in the book where Mel has just found out that she has left her daughter with a heroin addict childminder, and instead of immediately running to retrieve her child in a frantic manner, she drinks two large brandy's and waits for her friend to take her there. As a parent I found that a little bit frightening. After two large brandy's I would not feel like a competent parent and i'm amazed that Mel even admitted to doing this.
If the aim of this book was to reassure other mothers that all mothers struggle with becoming new parents then it achieves it's goal spectacularly, though this reader seriously hopes that other mothers cope with that struggle in a much more responsible manner.
Well done to Mel Giedroyc for her honesty but perhaps some failings should be kept to ourselves.
on 31 August 2008
I really enjoyed this. Much better than some of the usual 'new mother' comedy books.