Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Playlist - Acoustic Christmas Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

on 30 September 2008
I agree entirely with Mark's review of the 12 May 2007. The book starts well and then runs out of useful content very quickly. It's not a bad introduction to the basics of the low-carb/low-gi concepts and, fair enough, there are plenty of recipes.

However, I'm writing this review to declare my main gripe with the book which, after my trawl through the constant and repetitive sales pitch in the early chapters (why do people do this? I've already bought the book) has left me feeling pretty cheated. The reason is this: the 'diet' part of the book is made up of about 1/3 recipes from this book and 2/3 recipes from their other three books on the same/similar subjects. These are the same books touted repeatedly in the preceding chapters.

So this book only appears to be a complete product if you're prepared to pay for the quadrilogy (which I'm not), and then prepared to flick back and forth between the whole library in order to get a meal plan out of it.

Not for me thanks.
0Comment| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 31 May 2005
I love the previous books by Charles Clark as they are very down to earth and the recipes call for ingredients the vast majority of us recognise and can get. Unlike the American low carb books, these recipes are geared to our tastes. I always feel perplexed at some of the recipes the American books contain as they are full of wierd ingredients and strange combinations.This is great on its own but even better as an addition to the previous books.
0Comment| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 May 2005
This latest edition follows on from the success of Charles Clark's "The New High Protein Diet". He begins by reiterating the principles of a low carbohydrate or low GI (low Glycaemic Index) diet, but cautions against diets which instruct you to cut out carbohydrates altogether or to reduce them to, say, 20gm per day. Clark emphasises that fruit and vegetables include carbohydrates and essential vitamins and minerals: it's not a good move to cut them out altogether.
Clark argues for a 40-50gm daily intake of carbohydrate, increasing this once your body weight has stabilised. He talks through the process (and the science) convincingly, but diverges from his earlier book by aiming this one at vegetarians and people who do enjoy pasta and rice. He suggests limiting your intake of red meat, dairy products and eggs - foodstuffs which had been advocated in the earlier work.
This book contains recipes for incorporating a wider range of fruit, grains, pasta, rice and pulses into your diet. Clark, however, recognises that you will have to start counting carbohydrates if you do so.
He explains the Glycaemic Index - it's a measure of the effect of any particular food on your blood glucose levels. People tend to gain weight not because of the quantities of food they eat, but the types of food they eat. A diet rich in carbohydrates stimulates the body to lay down reserves of fat rather than burn it off as fuel - hence the weight gain, and hence the value of low GI foods.
It's good stuff, it's well explained, but I can't help feeling you're better reading this book after you've read "The New High Protein Diet". The two do complement one another. The earlier book, in fact, is better in its explanation of the science. In this latest work, Clark includes case studies of patients of his who have experienced weight loss as a result of his diet. The case studies are too clinical. They contain phrases like, "a reduction in LDL by 23 per cent from 4.06 to 3.11 mmol/l". It's hardly inspirational stuff unless you like playing around with calculators and statistics. You sense he's trying to leverage his argument, to convince you, "trust me, I'm a doctor".
In places in this latest title Clark seems too concerned to display his medical credentials and scientific status. It's a touch too clinical ... and hence my sense that you really need the earlier title as a corrective - it gives you more confidence, it's a bit more accessible, it's simply more informative because it doesn't slide into jargon at the wrong time.
But that criticism apart, Clark is clearly aware that diet is not a subject to be analysed in isolation - it relates directly and intimately to broader questions of health and lifestyle. Clark is a doctor. If his clinical advice is at times obtuse, it is nevertheless realistic.
The book offers 190 pages of recipes and meal plans. Again, I'd caution about trying to rigidly follow his suggestions. Use the recipes as a means of identifying the foods and meals you really enjoy. Use them as a set of guidelines against which to measure your weekly shopping. Use them as a means to set yourself targets and develop good habits.
It's a useful, informative book, but I have to conclude with the same information I presented in my review of "The New High Protein Diet". You want to know does Clark's advice work? Well, yes. I'm not going to repeat myself ... just take a look at the earlier review!
0Comment| 82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 April 2011
This book is brilliant! Have been searching for a helpful book on low carb diets for ages and this fits the bill perfectly. The diet plans are easy to follow and recipes very good. I have already noticed a difference in my energy levels and look forward to seeing some positive weight loss results very soon.
on 19 March 2011
Amazing, I have tried many diets to no avail, either they just didn't work or I got hungry and gave up. I have Osteo Arthritus in my hips and spine so needed to loose weight . I am not at all hungry on this diet and am loosing weight. I must admit the first week was the worst, I craved coffee and milk and cereals , but once over the first week it is easy to stay on the diet and gets easier as the weeks go by. Even eating out is not a problem , the only downside is that as I have arthritus I am unable to eat tomatoes and they are used quite a lot in the recipes. Really looking forward now to a much slimmer me .
on 25 July 2013
Many thanks for a speedy delivery of this book which arrived in pristine condition. It is great value for money and not only gives you some recipes but explains a lot about this type of diet.
on 6 September 2013
Used and marked but still readable. 3 weeks into the diet and doing well. Information & recipes easy to follow
on 21 February 2011
I wish this book had been written in non-metric speak.

As the author has 'specialist clinics in London & Edinburgh' he must be aware that to most of us the fact that one of the case studies 'lost 2kg in weight to 97.7kg' is pure gobbledegook. We haven't fully converted yet and whilst the vast majority of us know exactly how much 2 lbs or 12 stones represents in Imperial measurements we have no idea how much 97.7 kg represents. It's not specifically older people who have problems with this - my daughter is in her twenties yet was taught Imperial measures at school. I feel a bit cheated as the constant reference to metric measures makes what is effectively a simple book quite hard going.

Just a gripe - although a relevant one for a book first published in the UK in 2005.
on 16 March 2015
It provides useful information about this sort of diet.
on 22 March 2016