on 5 November 2017
A sad, heartbreaking story of the abuse suffered by young, unmarried girls who found themselves pregnant and alone in 1950"s Ireland. They must live in a convent run by cruel and sadistic nuns, where they are forced to hand over their children, 3 YEARS after the birth. The mothers are allowed to bond with the children, only to see them "sold" for adoption. It is unfortunate that June could not find the courage to speak out much earlier. Her brief time at the convent certainly helped many young girls who had never known compassion but she was certainly in a position to tell the story after she married. I wonder how many more girls had to endure such abuse because she did not speak up. I gave 5 stars because of the wonderful story but the book does contain many, many typos. I reported content errors via my Kindle but I have no way of knowing what Amazon does with these reports.
on 4 April 2017
I was captivated by June's heartbreaking account of her life as a midwife at one of the Irish homes for unmarried mothers in the 1950s. Her account portrays these homes as harsh and cruel and we are transported into this society, that thankfully has changed in which unmarried mothers were treated as the lowest of the low.

Equally I loved the descriptions of June's dates with Pat, her fiancé and this side of her story I found heartwarming. Unlike the mothers in the home she was lucky to have met a caring man who stood by her and cherished her and it was a happy ending when they finally were able to be together.

I would have liked to know how these Irish homes contrasted with the English homes. It's hard to find much information about the English homes but there has been a great deal written about Irish institutions, Magdalene laundries, convents and such like. It would also have been useful to know about the legalities of writing this book.

Nicely written and from the heart June tells her story as she remembers it. This will appeal to fans of 'Call The Midwife'
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 22 October 2017
Great story from the very start,sad to say the least,i was brought up a
Catholic and nuns taught us in,the school.these nuns were downright
vicious,they would pull you out by the arm and nails,digging in to
Your skin,if I told my mothet,i was told I deserved it,as she was brainwashed with the whole Catholic religion,i was really saddened reading this book,for a child to be wrenched,from its mither is criminal.
on 5 November 2017
Thank you for writing this book about the evil so called holy people, who once they met their maker, being a nun would make no difference. I had the misfortune to work with a very unpleasant woman who was Catholic she categorically denied anything to do with this obscene cruelty and also the laundry evil. Having a baby is not a crime and I'm sure the creator punished these evil judges
on 15 September 2017
As an ex Catholic I often wonder why certain nuns are so cruel. This book is certainly not going to answer that question, but it only reinforces what I have always known, some sisters. we're downright cruel. After saying that, this is one of the saddest books that I have read. The nursing home should have been a place of sanctuary but instead was a form of both mental and physical cruelty. A must read.
on 1 July 2017
A book telling the truth and horror of June Goulding working as a Midwife in a 'Mother and Baby Home' in Ireland. Actually it was a PRISON a money making racket for the nuns!

my heart goes out to all those girls who were torn apart from their babies.
on 20 July 2017
I enjoyed this book however I do think it must have opened a few heartaches and I would like to think it was a great help to all those poor mothers
3 people found this helpful
on 26 November 2017
This book fascinated me from the very first page to the last. The insight into the conditions at the Home was a real eye opener . The book was written with such compassion by a nurse with first hand experience of the dreadful treatment that was handed out to the poor inmates
on 13 April 2017
I really loved reading this book. So well written and the stories are all so sad but without June there lives could have been much worse.
Thank you for writing your book.
on 27 December 2017
I hope to goodness that Catholic nuns and priests are ashamed about the way their institutions behaved towards their parishioners. Anything less godly I can't imagine.