Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 May 2017
I feel that in places the language did not sit with me quite right, although this might well be the author trying to make it more accessible for different men. It has certainly helped and given me stuff to chew on. I'm happy I read this book and am happy to recommend that people read it allowing themselves to learn but also debate with the book.
on 12 December 2015
Fantastic book, as a mother of three boys, aged 9, 11, and 14 with a very busy husband, this book contains information we as busy parents don't always know the best way to impart to our young men, Well written. I have ready other books from the same author. Always well written with humour and just the right tact.
on 20 October 2016
Can't stand these self important first world problems sort of books. It's all totally obvious to me. "You have issues with your father? Talk to him." Oh really? I would never have thought of that! Dressed up in California style psych-speech to make it all seem like something you needed the book to realise. A suitable read for the brain-dead.
on 6 May 1999
I havent read Iron John or all those books, so I dont know how it compares to those, but I found this really helpful. It was very healing for me because I have a hard time feeling good about men. I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder about them due to some old issues. Basically it made me a lot more compassionate about men, and I was able to see them in a better light. It also cleared up some confusion about what I am looking for in men. I could never understand why I never went for the 'sensitive new age guy'. It was great therapy for me to see a vision of how men could be if they realize themselves. I might add that its written in a very easy to read style. Nothing like as cryptic as iron john. I think its a great digestible easy to read description of male evolution (for want of a better word) As a women I struggle to understand men and this helped. I was able to understand the differences without disliking men for them. There was some great stuff about what men should do to be attractive to women and what puts them off. I wish I could meet a bunch of guys that could do all the stuff in the book. The kind of stuff that he tells men to do is highly attractive behaviour in my opinion. I wish there were more men like this! I have only very rarely had the priveledge of meeting men like these in the course of my lifetime, and this gave me an idea of what I was missing. If you are a guy PLEASE read this book! Women WILL be grateful, trust me! The world would be full of so many LOVELY men if you all did this stuff. I dream of a world full of men like this!!!!!
on 16 July 2000
This book highlights the extent to which men have been conditioned to pretend and mask their emotions. Although slightly New Agey, I cannot recommend it enough to men AND women. I feel that I understand men 100% more and this can only be a good thing. They respond to a warm and caring approach and need to feel that crying is a perfectly natural and liberating experience for any human being. Another important message that came across is that today's boys are horrendously underfathered and need to spend time with good male role models in order to enjoy a fulfilling life and develop into healthy men.
Other topics include the treadmill of work (burn your tie!), relating to women and the need to make peace with your father.
Essential reading if you want to understand the male psyche and improve yourself.
on 3 June 2012
I was recommended this book by my wife who had read it to understand her dad. I instantly related to the opening chapters, realising that my insecurities are shared by men the world over.

As I got further into the book, a feeling of disappointment grew as I realised that the book had a subtle agenda where it's the author's way or the highway. This started in "Sex and Spirit" chapter where Steve describes what sex should feel like, how I should connect with it and what it should mean to me. I'm very happy with how I feel about sex but it's nothing like the author's view.
Then in "The Wild Spirit Of Man", Steve Biddulph lets his prejudices slip: "And the most potent and effective men and women from Nelson Mandela to the Dalai Lama to Aung San Suu Kyi - are those with religious underpinning to their life." Ok, this is probably true and a statistical likelihood. Steve goes on to declare that "In a sense, any spiritual path will do. Not to have some kind of spiritual practice is one's life, however, is a serious mistake".
As an atheist, I found it very difficult to digest this sweeping generalisation but I began to understand Steve's spiritual, perhaps Christian, viewpoint and how it may affect his worldview.

The book did give me some good points to think about and I agree whole heartedly with the author's views on boy's education. However, the advice is almost non-existent and left me in no better position other than knowing I'm not alone.
on 17 June 2001
I came to this book via another of Steve Biddulph's books, RAISING BOYS, which is wonderfully insightful and directly helpful. MANHOOD is similarly practical in its advice and understanding of problems that men don't talk about. Written in a direct style - no obscurantist academedician or mystic New Age talk here - this book has opened my eyes to things I should have liked to have understood half a century ago when it would have helped me see the good in my own father and the difficulties he coped with. It's a bit late now for that but I hope it'll help me, and them, in sharing life experiences with my own three sons - and the women in their lives. To use that well-worn expression, I cannot recommend MANHOOD too highly.
on 30 December 2003
The mens movement has received some bad press in the last few years. In this inspiring book, Steve Biddulph shows how vital and relevant the movement is to the future of all men, and to the future of the planet as a whole.
Biddulph lays out a clear path for men to follow that will lead them to greater understanding of themselves and their journey through life. In 'Seven Steps to Manhood', he offers a blueprint for improvement: Fixing it with your father, Meeting your partner on equal terms, Engaging actively with your kids, and so on. He then goes in to more detail on each idea, one chapter at a time.
The chapters are flushed out with real life stories, quotes from mens groups, myths and legends, humour and tragedy. He quickly establishes that he is not anti-feminist, rather that feminism on its own is not enough. You cannot liberate half of human beings. Most women, he argues, welcome a mens movement because women like the saner, happier and more involved men that it produces.
His main argument rests on the fact that boys in modern industrial society hardly see their dads. Boys are brought up at home by their mothers, or at kindergarten and primary school by women. Even well-meaning fathers often play only minor roles in the young man's life. As a result, boys grow up with few good role models and little strong male guidance. They base their image of men on Hollywood heroes and pop icons, with disastrous results. Boys need proper fathering and male mentoring, and this needs to continue as they move into life, work and fathering of their own.
If you're a man between the ages of 18 and 80, this book may well give you some perspective on the challenges you face in life, and some of the places to find help when life becomes difficult. And women will probably find it intersting, too.
on 27 June 2000
Steve Biddulph's very accesible writing paints a disturbing picture of the consequence for growing boys of fathers who are remote and preoccupied with work. Searching for a role model, they latch on to whatever the media provides, pop stars, footballers etc etc .. but note, all idealised, two dimensional figures with little or no emotional life. Suicides among our teenage boys is at startlingly high levels.
With of a style that echoes journalism rather than academic rigour, I can forgive Steve Biddulph's generalisations because of the importance of the message he gives. Its a wake up call for all fathers .. but more than that it offers practical advice too.
If you're worried about losing touch with your son, read it!
on 22 March 2005
I bought this book for my husband and he made me buy 5 more copies to give to his friends and our son. The cover is naff and doesn't suggest its content. It's really about how a man can be a man in todays mad world and get back to what really matters. Its easy to read and life changing stuff. I'm recommending it because I now have a 'new man' who is much happier and is able to love and support me in a way I could only have dreamt of in the past. Buy this book!