Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 23 September 2011
A great story about two mice who do better when they are faced with change because they keep things very simple, while the two little humans with the combination of their complex brains and human emotions complicate things. It's not that the mice are smarter than the little humans, it's just that habit, ego, fear and a sense of entitlement get in the way of the little humans progression to formulate simple changes in their lives.

A wonderful book that every parent should give to their child and by using the cheese as a metaphor, it will allow the child/adult to make changes in all areas of his/her life, whether it be health, relationships, finance, personal development or career.

As we get older we have the tendency to overanalyse things and we begin to fear change, yet by allowing your child to think for him/herself you will allow your child to start using his or her own resourcefulness and initiative.

Go on take a break from watching the TV or surfing the net and spend an hour working out your purpose in life simply by putting into practice what the mice do!! You may just find yourself ahead of 95% of the population who fear change. Obviously through no fault of their own, it's just the way the system has programmed them.
on 4 October 2009
I bought this book to help my teenagers after I had read the original version. Both of them found the book quick to read and the lessons learned helped them adjust to some major changes in their lives, leaving school, changing plans, being let down and having to rethink etc.

Best book I have ever given to my children!!!
on 21 February 2010
Two mice and two little people are trapped in a maze and when the supply of cheese runs out it is left to each individual to decide what to do next.

From the offset this book, at 96 pages long, is a simple and effective way to take a look at your life and how to change it for the better. Having heard about this book during a Two Pints of lager and a packet of crisps episode, I was immediately interested, given it was used in context for Donna, a self doubting but positive and intelligent woman looking to be more assertive.

Myself, a fairly frequent doubter was hooked to this book and read it in just under an hour. This is a very simple book with complex ideologies of how people observe life's obstacles and attempt to tackle them or leave them be.

Revolving around two mice and two little people in a maze filled with challenges and delusions, this book takes into account the important things in life and how we must strive for them rather than sit back and act naturally. The opening of the book shows a group of high school students upset regarding a change to their school environment and how this will infect them but one kid pips up with the cheese and maze story that turns their outlooks around.

This simple story is great. The cheese is supplied, then taken away and when we see that one mouse refuses to budge until the cheese is returned do we associate with every character in this book. There are times of doubt and ignorance, but there are times of careless actions and spontaneous positive motions, such as the one mouse getting up and thinking about going out and taking the time and energy to get the cheese back. It's a simple notion and using the cheese as a symbol to any other real life goal such as jobs, love and life makes the association easier to comprehend. The pace of the novel, whilst only under 100 pages, is reflective of real life emotions. The initial settling, the shock to find said cheese gone, the doubt, the fear, the anger, the ignorance and then the day with the get up and get it attitude that reflects the positive nature of humans that many people are afraid to acknowledge, myself included.

A drawback of this book is the fact it is over quickly and perhaps not as simple and easy to accomplish as made out in other such self help books, such as Feel the fear and do it anyway.

What this book has however, is the ability for implementing a powerful remembrance in the reader's mind. There are black and white pages with a simple sentence, such as "What would you do if you weren't afraid?" That, depending on the reader's current troubles, will strike home a personal association with the characters in the book.

Whether you are the world's most proactive positive person, I would still recommend giving this novel a shot because it is short and snappy and will make you think and ponder and hopefully act.

8.5/10
on 22 April 2016
Having read the original a number of years ago, I thought this might be thought provoking for my teenage daughter as she hits many adolescent milestones through High School.
She was a bit puzzled why I had recommended it to her and was pretty sceptical about bothering to read it. To her credit, she gave it a go and finished it in a single sitting.
Since then she has taken great delight in winding me up about giving it to her. However, I know that she 'gets it' though, as a few weeks on she is still referencing the characters whenever a situation arises where 'change' is on the horizon.
She finds it hilarious to call me 'Hem' or 'Haw' at the first sign of any change resistance on my part - so for the sake of a couple of quid it has given us both something to joke about if nothing else. Who knows, something might just stick and be useful when she is faced with a difficult situation in the future.
on 4 May 2013
My daughter read this book in record time and has passed it on to her friends a good purchase. Thank you looking forward to reading the next book
on 26 June 2012
A really good book for teens. I teaches them how to deal with changes in their lives early in their teen years before they become young adults. Who moved my cheese? has some really inspirational quotes which helps to build confidence and self esteem in teens. It shows how the goal post can be moved yet still be achievable.

Great lesson that more teens should read.
on 10 December 2013
Bought this for my teen, who read it but then found the animated version online so prefered that!
As for content, it's a good read to encourage and motivate teens. My daughter found it amusing but kind of basic, so although I would recommend the book, it would depend on the reader if they actually get anything out of it.
on 23 April 2014
who moved my cheese will probably have a great impact on my life, and influence the way in which I facilitate my classes.
on 8 November 2016
My 15 yr old raved about this book! Thinks it should be available in schools. He read it in one go so an easy read.
on 21 November 2012
Good read - concise and to the point - exactly what is needed in such a book. A good book to follow up the original