The second MORO cookbook from the two Sams.

'Casa Moro' evokes Samuel and Samantha Clark's extensive travels, their first discovery of Spain and Morocco, and in particular their house in the heart of Moorish Andalucía - welcome to 'Casa Moro'.

'The food of 'Moro' has most of its roots in the home...
This book has the same cultural culinary mix of Spain and the Muslim Mediterranean as our first ~ MORO The Cookbook.
However, we have also included a chapter on the wild food and traditional dishes we have come across in our Alpujarran village. We are always interested in a sense of place with our food, that place often being the street or home.
This book therefore prefers to be at home, as there is no substitute for the love and care of the home cook.'

Eye-catching covers open to 319 matt pages, split over main chapters:

β˜… Vegetables
β˜… Grains & Pulses
β˜… Home-Made & Home-Cured
β˜… Puddings & Cakes

plus the aforementioned section on 'Las Alpujarras and Wild Food'.
The appendix includes recipes for 'Basics Stocks', a Vegetable & Fruit Seasonal Guide and an interesting reference page headed:

'the following information is our personal point of view - an insight into what informs the choices we make when buying food for the home and restaurant', along with a full index.

Each recipe (with foreign & English titles, where applicable), is preceded by a paragraph of relevant narrative, a full list of ingredients, the number of servings, then the clear method.

This chunky tome is interspersed with matt on-location photography and the occasional 'step-by-step' method.
A slight negative may be that it is a little light on photographs of the finished dishes, which may prove less appealing to those of us who like to see what we are aiming for on the plate.
Having said that, it is easy to forgive this with the general flow of this well-written, passionate book, which is far more than a cookery book...evident right from the start in the paragraph entitled ~

'Winter:
To us the most evocative images of winter are the first settling of snow on the Mulhacén and surrounding peaks of the Sierra Nevada, the auburn spheres of kakis (persimmons) on their naked branches and the crimson seeds of wild pomegranates that have burst open. There is not much in the vegetable plots apart from cardoons, giant cabbages for potajes (stews) and broad bean shots just emerging from underneath the trees. Only the laden orange trees in the lower valleys are at their peak. Their orange globes and shiny dark green leaves are so perfect they look almost un-real.
As the nights and days grow colder, the sweet smell of almond wood fires fills the village.
Winter has arrived.'

The opening note to 'Barley Bread', page 264:

'As we were leaving Tangiers on our camper-van trip, we bought a couple of breads on the street to eat for breakfast.
One was flaky and oily, flavoured with onion and a little tomato; the other was a dense bread made of cracked barley.
This bread felt primitive and ancient - more like polenta than bread.
We like it lightly grilled and eaten with butter and other accompaniments...'

and the closing note for the same recipe:

'The brightly coloured enamel teapots that feature in many of the photographs come from Morocco. We collect them and use them for pouring olive oil.'

Other recipes include:

♦ Orange Flan
♦ Anise Biscuits
♦ Pomegranate Molasses
♦ Rice Pudding

One of my particular favourites is 'Seafood Salad', (pages 74-5) which whisks me back in time to fond memories of Andalucía...an easy to make dish with wonderful flavours, served with fresh limes and a chunk of rustic bread.
This, finished with 'Kate's Sherry Trifle', from pages 292-3, is a fantastic informal meal to share (eight in my case) and...remember!
on 3 June 2007
I think this book has to be the best cookery book I have bought so far! The variety and amount of recipes is exceptional. Have had this book three years and it has never disappointed. The Carrot Puree with Caraway and Feta is to die for! I never realised carrots could taste so good! It's amazing the recipes are simple and yet turn out exceptional.

Casa Moro is an enjoyable read, full of easy to follow yummy recipes with nice colour photographs. I look forward to trying many more great dishes.

The only negative I would say, is that the dessert section leaves a lot to be desired. There are not many recipes and most are various ice cream dishes for which you need an ice-cream maker. I invested in one and the ice-cream is well worth the effort.

Overall I am extremely happy with my purchase.
on 29 March 2005
I reviewed the original Moro cookbook less than favourably - I felt it was a case of poor translation of recipes from restaurant to domestic kitchen as it suffered from uneven spicing and some odd proportions. This could not be less true of Casa Moro which is now my constant kitchen companion - perhaps this one succeeds because it's what the two Sams actually eat at home. The recipes are enticing, instructions clear and the flavours gorgeous - oh take me to Marrakesh now!
My favourite recipe from far too many favourites is the subtle and enticing layered dish called Chicken Fattee - OK it's a comedy name to us unsophisticated types, but it's a dizzyingly rich and smoky dish which has the added virtue of amply feeding 8 people from one medium sized chicken. Yum!
33 Comments| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 January 2012
I enjoyed the first book. However in my opinion this surpasses it's predescessor. I found myself dipping in constantly as both my imagination and tastebuds were stimulated I found it difficult to put down. The first was a gift to me , this a gift to myself and an exceptionally appreciated one at that.
on 4 May 2005
In the first week of owning this book, I cooked 3 meals from it, and now, 6 months later there is barely a week that goes by without a meal either from or influenced by this book.
Most dishes are straightforward to prepare, even easy at times, and little is required outside the ingredients most enthusiastic cooks are likely to have.
I am now very much looking forwards to trying the many light summer dishes after having been on gutsy winter fare so far. Surely a book for all seasons. Prawns and Oyster mushrooms in manzanilla on toast makes for a hard to beat lunch!
on 25 April 2014
My second Moro book, and just as good as the first. The recipes are so simple and so delicious, they not only make you drool, they make you want to cook and they make you want to visit Spain.
on 17 June 2013
Most interesting book with cultural history and background which makes for good reading. Thoroughly recommend for practical use or just as an interesting cultural guide for armchair cooks!
on 9 January 2014
Bought as a present so not used but appears to have a good range of recipes and a style as you would expect from the Moro collection. Quality item and well packaged
on 13 February 2013
We live in Southern Spain so all the ingredients required are readily available . Enjoying the different flavours
, a good read too
on 23 April 2014
good book, good packing, great delays! the ideal book for a quick mediteranean dinner, simple, original & great effect on the guests!