The Snow Goose
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 22 September 2015
I love nature and having missed out on this novella book and the rock/orchestral music album of the same name by Camel I decided to catch up. It made my morning a special one.

I played the beautiful music with it's haunting melodies while reading the book and it brought a tear to my eye. I thought the short story was nicely written by Paul Gallico and emotionally challenging and the lovely illustrations by Angela Barret were a major part of this beauty, bringing the scenery and characters to life in a very imaginative way.

The unconventional love between the two people in the story was deeply moving to me and something I could relate to. I am not a book reader but reading this short book reminded me there is much to be gained by re-introducing this pastime into my busy life.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 23 June 2015
Having spend my last 15 years as co-founder of the Cork Animal Care Society rescuing companion animals (and wildlife) this tiny tiny book moved me to tears. I am old (over 70) and battle hardened because of my voluntary work but this book is so well written it will burn itself into your soul. Paul Gallico is one of the worlds finest writers and any of his books will give you countless hours of joy while he takes you on the story told. But be warned, you too might shed a tear, just like I did and find yourself re-reading it many a time. Albert
VINE VOICEon 8 October 2015
This book contains two of the most enthralling stories that you could possibly want. One, the snow goose is set against the back ground of the second world war and the other, the small miracle, against the bigotry of some sections of the catholic church. Both are spell binding and both we worth your time to read. Both are highly enjoyable and are likely to give you pause for thought.
on 12 February 2018
If you’re ordering this, make sure you add tissues to your order too! Such a heart-breaking, but excellent book. Read ‘The Snow Goose’ three times without stopping. I bought this to replace a lost childhood copy and this edition has a beautiful cover.
on 22 April 2014
The Snow Goose, and The Small Miracle are two delightful short stories, both of which are impossible to put down once started. Both beautifully written with deep sensitivity and meaning. It was my second reading of Snow Goose and I was still as touched by the story as I was several years ago. Again it brought a lump to my throat throughout the final pages. My wife would call me a bit of a softy!

Good reading for anyone who is aware of the bonds between animals/birds and man, and the understanding between man and child.
on 26 May 2013
That somebody feels that Paul Gallico's 'The Snow Goose' is worth reviving as an e.book after so many years speaks for itself. I read it first some 45 years ago. It was beautiful then - and I found it every bit as beautiful now, moving me beyond words. He wrote a lot of good stuff, the late Paul Gallico; but I'll wager that, if we could reach him now, he would agree that this little gem was the best and most poignant thing he ever did write.
on 13 December 2014
Bought for my sons who will "discover " it at Christmas had forgotten what a perfect book it is !
on 28 December 2017
Still a masterpiece now with haunting illustrations
on 2 November 2012
Seeing this book on Amazon and knowing a little of the story I decided to buy it,however, when it arrived I was quite disappointed to find it was not the product shown in the illustration but a thinner text only version from 1943, but nevertheless I found it a delightful book and although I really wanted the illustrated by Peter Scott edition,I think I will keep this one.Maybe a copy of the fully illustrated edition will come my way one day.
on 7 April 2013
This is just such a great story. my sister had the book when she was in her teens and I read it when I was little but I was too young to understand the story. It's a beautifully written story with vivid depictions of landscape and human relationships overcoming loneliness and isolation. I wanted to read it again as I'm composing piece of music and found the story an inspiration. It's very poigniant. Much more rewarding to read as a grown up.