Format: Hardcover|Change

on 26 January 2007
My Dad handed me a very old copy of this book to read a few years ago and I recently re discovered it's brilliance.

It is a beautiful short story that is written in such a captivating way that it would be hard to stop reading till you get to the end in just one sitting.

I would recommend this to anyone who appreciates the beauty of description and emotion a book can sometimes offer a reader.
on 22 April 2014
The Snow Goose, and The Small Miracle are two delightful short stories, both of which are impossible to put down once started. Both beautifully written with deep sensitivity and meaning. It was my second reading of Snow Goose and I was still as touched by the story as I was several years ago. Again it brought a lump to my throat throughout the final pages. My wife would call me a bit of a softy!

Good reading for anyone who is aware of the bonds between animals/birds and man, and the understanding between man and child.
on 18 December 2009
Although a wonderful story I was completely disappointed to receive a flimsy booklet with no spine, which was bent in the middle, it isn't a proper book and I would not have purchased it if that had been clear to me.

The Small Miracle is my favourite story of all time and reduced me to tears as a child every time my mother read it to me, I wanted to replace it for sentimental reasons and was SO disappointed with the version I received from Amazon.

So yes, buy the book but not this small, poorly printed, leaflet version.
VINE VOICEon 31 December 2010
Probably Gallico's most well-known work, this is a poignant tale of an ugly man with inner beauty who loves a pretty and shy young girl who brings him the injured snow goose of the title. The snow goose haunts the novel and inspired William Fiennes' wonderful book, The Snow Geese.

To create this memorable story in only 55 pages is quite an achievement. My one quibble is that, as an American, his attempts at reproducing working-class Cockney speech are pretty wide of the mark.

This book was chosen for our reading group as a short Christmas read and of the nine members, seven loved it and only two did not enjoy it. The harshest criticism was that it was "trite and sentimental". At the other extreme, one member immediately added it to her Amazon wishlist and was disappointed not to get it for Christmas (we support our local library by ordering our books through them).
on 26 May 2013
That somebody feels that Paul Gallico's 'The Snow Goose' is worth reviving as an e.book after so many years speaks for itself. I read it first some 45 years ago. It was beautiful then - and I found it every bit as beautiful now, moving me beyond words. He wrote a lot of good stuff, the late Paul Gallico; but I'll wager that, if we could reach him now, he would agree that this little gem was the best and most poignant thing he ever did write.
on 2 March 2000
I was suprised the other day to discover that, amongst educated friends, no-one had heard of this.
My visit to Amazon was to discover if it was still in print! My own, old illustrated edition is not for sale.
The mixture of comedic and tragedic narrative and desciption must be read by anyone who has an authentic claim to know English Literature.
on 2 November 2012
Seeing this book on Amazon and knowing a little of the story I decided to buy it,however, when it arrived I was quite disappointed to find it was not the product shown in the illustration but a thinner text only version from 1943, but nevertheless I found it a delightful book and although I really wanted the illustrated by Peter Scott edition,I think I will keep this one.Maybe a copy of the fully illustrated edition will come my way one day.
on 15 December 2015
I am sure the story is lovely, but the quality of the book is not. It is not particularly cheap and was intended to be a gift, but given how small the volume is and how cheap looking the paper, it can not make a gift.
on 31 July 2013
I have always loved this spell-binding book about unusual relationships - between a shy girl and an outcast, crippled man, between both of them and a lost goose, and finally between stranded soldiers at Dunkirk and the man and goose and finally the touching parting of all of them. This edition is nicely presented with illustrations which are quite fitting. Illustrations can always present a difficulty, as the illustrator may have a different view from what the writer has conjured up in one's own imagination, but these at least don't jar. I bought this to replace my original miniature paper-back copy and I am very pleased with it
on 2 January 2010
I bought this book for a gift and the recipient was delighted saying that it was a beautifully illustrated copy of a classic tale.