Customer reviews

on 3 September 2004
A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel is the story of a young girl (named Zippy because of the way she rushed about the house as a child) growing up in the small American town of Mooreland during the Sixties and Seventies. Each chapter begins with a photograph, which is a delightful reminder that the book is actually a biography and not fiction, and I loved being able to put pictures to the characters introduced in the book.
The book itself could actually be described as "zippy" as it seems to zip from one thing to another, from one time to another. Rather than a criticism, this "zippyness" actually makes the book more appealing because instead of being a run of the mill biography, the book comes across as a sparky series of anecdotes and memories from childhood, seemingly remembered in no particular order.
This is a delightful, light-hearted book. Kimmel's prose captures the mood perfectly, both innocent yet sly, and always quirky. It is a lovely refreshing read and I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in reading childhood memoirs, particularly American ones.
on 9 April 2013
I've read this before and loved it so much, I put it on my syllabus for my first creative writing class. It was a huge hit. Funny and engaging, with an authentic voice. One of my all time favorites.
on 26 August 2015
I have read this book and listened to the audiobook so many times. It is still lively amusing and perfect