Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 February 2017
Very impressed with this book, suitable for absolute beginners and I taught myself to knit using this. Easy clear instructions on all aspects of knitting e.g. Increasing, decreasing. The patterns get increasingly harder as you work through the book, the only downside is that many of the patterns use Debbie Bliss wool mixes of which there aren't any cheaper alternatives. Debbie Bliss wool is lovely but works out very expensive.
on 1 May 2017
I bought this book to knit for my long-awaited grandchild. I do have some knitting knowledge, but I have to say I did find the pattern for the particular cardi I'm knitting not easy to follow. It wasn't precise enough. Considering this is a book for beginners, there wasn't enough detail and very often you were left to try and figure things out yoursellf. I also found a glaring mistake in one of the patterns that I wasted a lot of time on trying to figure it out. In the end I went onto a knitting problems website to find the answer. It didn't help matters that, although there are revisions to the patterns on the Debbie Bliss website, this particular problem wasn't mentioned. Considering their declaration on the website that they have their patterns tested rigorously by experts, there are an awful lot of revisions,
on 30 March 2017
not as detailed as I was hoping for
on 5 June 2017
Certainly have a collection of her books now, haven't tried any of the patterns from here but they look very promising.
on 3 April 2013
I was browsing Amazon for books of patterns/projects that would allow me to brush up on my knitting skills. This book is excellent both for its instructions and for its range of patterns.
on 2 September 2007
This is a lovely book for people who are new to knitting - like me. The patterns are very basic to begin with to get your confidence up, then new stitches are introduced gradually. The patterns are quite quick to make so you don't get disheartened, and the stitch demonstrations are in general quite easy to follow, though I did have to go to the internet to clarify one. The photos in the book are lovely and inspire you to get knitting! Some of the wools/colours she recommends don't seem to be stocked at major dept stores (?or made) anymore, but using alternate makes seems to work out ok.
on 13 September 2004
I'm an entirely self-taught knitter with only books to learn from and this book was fantastic. I learned many basic skills and found the patterns a breeze to read and follow. I have used it several times as a reference guide when working from other pattern books. No other book I've found is written as clearly; no guesswork. I never thought, 'what does she MEAN by that?' when reading an instruction. I didn't have to guess and rip out, guess again and rip out, etc. Yes, it's a beginner's book, but there are a few more challenging projects for 'experienced beginners'. The thing I love about Debbie's patterns is that nearly everyone can be knit for either a girl or a boy. There always seems to be an abundance of patterns for girls and less choice for boys. Not so with this book. I have many of db's books, and this is my favourite. The only criticisms I have are that I wish there were a few more patterns and a couple of the patterns are recycled versions from her other books.
I bought this a couple of years ago with good intentions to make all my friends' newborns something lovely. Babies were born but my knitting needles stayed in the drawer with this book. Then I decided that this year I really would try to get back into knitting and brought out this book again. I wish I had taken the time to have a proper look when I first bought it as I would have started using it straight away! It is fantastic!

I would describe myself as an 'advanced beginner' knitter. Years ago I was making sweaters and other types of clothing. But now, I feel like I'm almost back at the beginning after years of no knitting. But since rediscovering this book, in the past month I have made the garter stitch baby blanket, two simple hats and a pair of booties. All turned out really well (although my finishing is still absolutely shocking).

What I like about this book the most (and all Debbie bliss patterns) is that I find the instructions very easy to follow. Some pattern books have me running to the post office queue on pension day begging for assistance! But not this one. There are lots of wonderful patterns in here for babies and almost-toddlers.
If like me, you're a bit rusty and want to get your confidence back, this book is ideal. The projects are short and can be made up reasonably quickly and easily if you want to make a special gift for a baby.
If you're brand new to knitting (or have attempted only a scarf before) then this book is also great for you because the 'how to knit' instructions are easy to understand. It doesn't seem to get more complicated than moss stitch or a bit of ribbing.
Ideal for people who are easing into the joys of the old clickety click.
on 2 January 2010
I agree with previous reviewers that the patterns are lovely, and the intructions and diagrams are clear.

However I object to the fact that all the patterns tell you to use Debbie Bliss yarns without explaining what the equivelant would be if you did not want to (e.g. it took some research to find that 'Debbie Bliss cashmerino' is actually a 4 ply yarn). I don't want to use Debbie Bliss yarns because most of them seem to contain wool. I am allergic to wool and would never consider knitting a garment for a tiny baby using anything with a wool content.
44 Comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 January 2013
I've been leant this book by a neighbour. It's a beautiful book full of lovely patterns. I agree with others that the wool is expensive... though one can always use a different brand as long as the wool itself is a close match (I've completely gone the other way and used completely different wool and everything has turned out ok... though that's just me... I never do listen!).

I'm completely useless at following instructions and have never followed a knitting pattern before in my life. With these patterns they're easy(ish) to understand but you have to follow the patterns exactly and you're on to a winner, as opposed to not quite understanding and doing your own thing. Google has been very useful for some of the stitches but it hasn't taken much to understand what to do.

Would definetely highly recommend this book!
review image