Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 April 2016
There are serious contradictions to her own methods/advice in this book!

For instance she starts the book describing the importance of listening to your baby. She then gives an example of a 3week old who wouldn't sleep if put down. She details how over 3 days she pick up/ put down shhhh X number of times and baby settled. I started to try this with my 5 week old but she was increasingly hysterical and over tired after the first hour of trying this method. In that respect and in tears myself, I felt it is no better than controlled crying I picked her up and nursed her to sleep, which is what she was 'telling' me she wanted all along. Then later in the book she herself says that this method should not be used for any child under 3 months. How would I know that as a first time mum if she starts the book saying it's ok??

After reading a few of these baby books and feeling like a terrible mother afterwards, I am of the opinion now that instinctive parenting is the better method for me - even the 'experts' can't decide within their own book.

It's in the recycling bin!
on 14 August 2014
Good read for any parents with time on their hands! She advocates consistent discipline with an empathetic approach to toddlers with different personalities. Sensible advice which works, though tiredness and stress can take their toll on even the most principled parent! Useful layout and cross referencing. Occasionally the tone is a little patronising "ducky" but maybe this is meant to be humorous and conversational.
on 7 May 2017
My daughter loved this book. She has a very restless baby and after reading the first chapter and putting it into practice actually found time to read the rest.!!!! Granny learnt a lot too and I wish this had been around when my two were babies. Might have had an easier time.
on 18 May 2017
Incredibly reassuring and helpful book which we referred to on a daily basis from the day we brought our baby home from hospital. I would also recommend the follow up The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems as a follow up once you are out of the newborn days and facing different issues.
on 26 March 2017
But very good if you just take a few of the suggestions on board.
on 22 July 2017
I've read a couple of books now on learning about routines etc and have got frustrated by the majority but the baby whisperer is much more gentle & although a lot to take in at first really does help. Made me evaluate myself too and recognise my approach but also to recognise my baby is now a little person.
on 24 May 2017
I've used this for two babies now and found it absolutely brilliant, I recommend it to all my friends. It's the manual that they say doesn't come with your children!
on 26 March 2015
Like all the other Baby Whisperer books by Tracy Hogg this book offers advice which is middle of the road and respects babies and toddlers as individuals. I love this approach and it works well for me and my three kids.
on 15 June 2014
After reading the Baby Whisperer before having my son, I foound it useful and the recomended "rules" work... reading the second one regarding toddlers 2 years on gave me great insight and great tips once again
on 13 July 2013
I chose this book, as I had read the Baby Whisperer by the same author. I found the Baby whisperer excellent, and this toddler version helpful, however, for me, a lot of what was recommended in the book, was what I was doing anyway. It's a good book to dip in and out of though.