on 13 June 2011
"Wow." That is the word that will fall from your lips when you finish the last page of 'Close to the Edge'.

The tome dips deep into the underbelly of Davidson's life, from his early years on the mean streets of Berlin through to his present standing as a comedy giant. Jim riffs lovingly on his (little known) Afro-Caribbean ancestry and talks at length about his Father who was a gas man. He weaves a rich tableau with his numerous foul-mouthed accounts of his thrilling adventures. Amongst other things that happened to him, Jim recalls a hazy weekend in Amsterdam with Nelson Mandella and Julian Clary and pulls no punches when discussing his lifelong addiction to gashing out bananas with his fingernails. Davidson expects to raise eyebrows with this tell all account and there is no doubt he will.
on 23 November 2003
From the moment I started reading I was hooked. The honesty and humanity eminate from the pages. This is a real rags to riches story with all the ups and downs that fame and fortune can bestow upon a person. Told from the heart, the outrageous, funny and often sad stories will make you laugh and cry and I'm sure there are many 'ordinary' folk, like myself, that will relate to the thoughts and feelings of this man, who is after all, only human. Thanks Jim, for sharing your life (so far) with us.
on 20 October 2001
I bought this book expecting one of two things; either a laugh a minute side splitting story or a sales gimmick. What I got was a refreshing, frank insight into this human being with 'normal' thoughts and feelings. I found myself relating to his words in many places which truly surprised me. He describes in detail, the pain, the hapiness and the love(s) of his life from the 4 marriages to the alcoholic rehab, Mr Blobby and beyond. At no time did I feel that I was reading a sales pitch, if anything, I felt like 'big brother' witnessing a remarkable unfoldment of a persons psyche. But hey, don't take my word for it....get it for yourself!.
on 16 February 2016
This book is an excellent read. It gives us an insight into jims life and how popular he is. It also tells of all the marvellous things he had done that the general public are not aware of such as his many charity works and his work for our soldiers etc.
on 21 January 2015
Book arrived in excellent time. Unfortunately as I was reading some of the pages fell out. However I really enjoyed it and the pages falling out did not detract from that enjoyment. I highly recommend this seller.
on 5 January 2002
Brilliant read, I came away with a deep admiration for Jim Davidson and with a feeling of there but for the grace of god , so much of what he said of his feelings and thoughts could of been my own. An honest glimpse into his life, that gave you the sense of spending time with a good friend.
on 28 August 2008
A very honest autobiography by Jim Davidson with no holds barred. At the present time Jim Davidson is not on TV which is a shame because the guy has talent. I remember him being on New Faces so as I read Jim mentioned about New Faces so I remembered him being on that programme.

If the book is still available and you like autobiographies and a laugh then you will enjoy the book.
on 26 March 2014
brilliant book, thoroughly enjoyed it and it was written with true honesty, thankyou for your service and thankyou jim for entertaining me
on 13 August 2006
This is without doubt an honestly written book but the book is one non stop moan about the comics wives who all failed to live up to his expectations, tax problems, constant digs at the Labour Party and how everything is wrong with life.

Wht we need F words every sentence is questionable and the author seems to have a wish to bed every woman he meets.

Not recommended but I agree that it is honestly written.
on 24 October 2014
A very honest read.Couldn't put it down.