on 20 April 2009
I was at the end of my rope when my health visitor suggested getting this book. Im not usually into these self help books but i look at my toddler in a whole new light now. This book hit the nail on the head and i have now got a time out, naughty spot, and a better understanding than before. I now see there really is never a need to smack and im not saying everyone is the same but i will never do that again. If you are having a problem with your toddler then this book will most certainly help!
on 8 May 2016
If you are an attachment parenting, co sleeping, toddler breastfeeding mum probably not the best book. Sent it back - decided my two year old wasn't that bad.
on 6 December 2015
Full of excellent hints and tips for 0-4yr olds. This book is a must have for any parent. My daughter is very pleased with the advice Dr. Green gives with managing her 3 yr old.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 May 2009
I have found this book invaluable in helping me to understand the thinking of my toddler. Whenever we come up against a problem, it has helped to reassure me that we are not the first to do so and most issues are easily remedied. I like this book because Green's written style is good and avoids being as staid and clinical as some other child development books. I also love the list of 'Meaningful Milestones' at the back of the book, which have frequently set my mind at rest.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 30 July 2011
All I can say is buy this book. It has a very humane approach and contains good practical advise on peaceful toddler raising. But be aware, it will ask you to take a close look at yourself. What are you doing as a parent that is not working? For me that meant I had to put away my phone; no checking mails while on the playground etc. However, Dr. Green is never judgmental and understands that we are just human beings, sometimes in way our heads with the little toddlers. The book has made our life much better, I feel less guilt and my daughter is much more relaxed. I have also suggested the book to all my toddler-mom-friends... some on the best few $ ever spend.
on 2 February 2011
I've read more than a few parenting books and have to say this has been the best yet. So simple, matter of fact and realistic expectations for parents and children alone. Green is straight talking and understands how we parents feel at times and adds a bit of humour along the way! would highly recommend it for anyone with toddlers from 18months+
on 1 November 2010
My two boys are now far from being toddlers - they are now well adjusted teenagers 14 and 18 but I still have my copy of toddler taming - what a comfort it was to me, mainly with my first child - I loved the practical and entertaining way the book is written but mostly I loved the reassurance that could be gained just from reading a few pages, and is a wonderful antedote to the "competitive parent" syndrome to be found lurking in some play-groups. Guess what, they're all normal, just different from each other, and they're not minature adults. Brilliant book!
on 23 May 2009
I bought a whole shelf of toddler books the day my 13 month old had his first screaming temper tantrum and this is one of only 2 books that still gets used as each new challenge arises! The ideas within the book are simple but oh-so-sensible and we use them on a daily basis. It's been so useful for dealing with tantrums, bedtimes, handling eating and dressing issues, encouraging our son to play well with others, etc. A great book.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 24 May 2011
I bought this book just before we adopted our daughter, than aged 18 months. Didn't really need to use it till she was two... then I was sooooooooo grateful for its sensible, readable advice.

The author is a paediatrician with children of his own and so qualified from both ends, as it were.

He explains how toddlers see the world, helps you to understand their behaviour, and then suggests ways of changing either your behaviour or the child's to help ease the strife between the two of you!

I know that some reviewers of this book have been shocked by three of the suggestions and I'd like to put them in context a bit.

Firstly: the whole section on controlled crying continually emphasises that there is a difference between a child who is crying because they want their own way and one who is genuinely distressed. It is stated again and again that you shouldn't try the technique with a child whose personality isn't suited to it, or is ill, or has had a change in routine - but if you know your child is just being a wilful little toerag in true toddler style, then it may well be the answer to your prayers!

Secondly: the two extreme solutions - tying the door so it only opens slightly and the tot can't get out of the room, and sedation - are absolute last-ditch solutions for people at the end of their tether and desperate for sleep. We don't tie our daughter's door shut but we do put a stair-gate across it to stop her getting in our bed and spending the whole night kicking and wriggling and keeping us all awake!

FWIW - controlled crying didn't work for our daughter, but my brother used it on all his four children and it worked like a dream for them. What *did* work for us was his other suggestion of sitting by the bed, not communicating with the child, until they fall asleep.

No-one has to follow every single piece of advice from this book, but most of it is invaluable and I often refer to it for solutions for day-to-day challenging behaviours!
on 16 March 2009
This book was recommended to me by someone I worked with who had 3 girls very close together. She said it was her bible and is now reading the next book as her girls are getting older. I have to say that I am not a great believer in these types of books but this one is great! It is the simple things that work and my then 14 month old going on 3 years is now the cutest 18 month old toddler. The book suggests many things and methods to try and is also great as it recognises the differences between younger and older toddlers.

This book has the potential to bring back calmness!!!