Customer reviews

Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian Cookbook
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 22 May 2005
This is my favourite recipe book - and have a few on the shelf! I always turn back to this one when I need inspiration. Lack of pictures doesn't matter, because the descriptions and anecdotes mean you can visualise the meal. I enjoy knowing a bit more about the background of a particular dish. Also helpful are the suggestions about what to serve with what. Don't be put off by the long lists of ingredients - mostly spices etc which always combine perfectly and are generally readily available in the UK. Everything I have cooked from this book tastes good.
on 21 May 2014
Although Madhur Jaffrey is better known for Asian cooking, this book really is an international compendium. This is more a vegetable cook book than a vegetarian cook book, no "cheesy pasta" dishes here. The dishes range from one pot meals based on pulses through to simple ways to cook delicious side dishes with greens. Great for vegetarians and carnivores alike and full of inspiration for getting more veg into your diet.
on 9 October 2017
The book isn't as comprehensive as I expected, it is quite an old fashioned look and feel, some ingredients are impossible to source. Was bought as a birthday present, I'm disappointed and will select another present.
on 30 April 2017
Wonderful book for using only vegetables in cooking, not just for vegetarians.
on 21 November 2009
If the world was only allowed one cookbook, this should be the one. Maddhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian cookbook is indispensable while the rest are not. That's how good it is. Who cares there are no pictures? The presentation or visual enjoyment of the food becomes completely redundant as soon as your tastebuds get a chance. I'm amazed every time I get to taste the results of a simple recipy. How do so few and simple ingredients get to taste so incredibly good together? The only problem with this book is that restaurant food is just not what it used to be. I prefer the food I cook at home, and that is ALL thanks to Madhur Jaffrey.
on 26 September 2007
Jaffrey is a author of outstanding cookbooks, often focusing on Indian cuisine. "World Vegetarian" covers well over 200 vegetable recipes from around the world. World recipes are well represented from Cyprus,Greece, Jamaica,Italy, Trinidad, Japan, France, Morocco,Mexico, United States,Costa Rica, Korea, Cuba, Indonesia, Africa.Using different cultures dishes there are endless ideas for use of foods for a very good diet.
on 31 October 2000
I was introduced to this particular cookbook of the famous Madhur Jaffrey by a serious vegetarian friend of mine. I have dabbled with vegetarianism off and on for the past 20 years. With this cookbook, I am more firmly committed to healthy and healthful eating than ever before. Jaffrey's astounding range of recipes --- each one written clearly and with personal notes that really make it an interesting read --- makes us want to run into the kitchen and start doing something fab with butter beans or aubergine!
on 30 August 2009
Madhur Jaffrey has made a tour-de-force with this amazing journey through world cookery - one designed for vegetarians, but which feels expansive rather than limited and has extraordinary breadth.

We've actually lived with this book for several years - the copy I'm reviewing was bought as a gift - and we're still taking pleasure in discovering new textures and flavours as well as returning to favourite recipes. Jaffrey has a real gift for combining ingredients in a perfect balance, and everything we've tried has worked beautifully. The book is well-made and will last, not some paperback with a glued spine. Highly recommended.
VINE VOICEon 30 January 2001
I bought this book for my partner a year ago, but since then have used it mainly myself - barely a week goes by without dipping into it for a recipe or some advice, and it is freqently used daily. It contains an amazing variety of recipes, as well as basic advice on choosing, preparing and cooking all manner of vegetables, pulses and grains, sprinkled with readable comments and anecdotes. One of the first recipes we tried was the grated beetroot and shallots - I had never been a fan of beetroot, but this recipe converted me - amazing flavours and texture, unlike anything I had ever cooked before, and incredibly easy to make (it took less than 15 minutes and required only a few ingredients). My only criticism would be that the structure and presentation of the book seems sometimes a little fussy, sometimes a little arbitrary, and because of this we rarely venture beyond the first section on vegetables, with the occasional foray into pulses and grains. However, it contains enough recipes (probably a couple of thousand) to make any random dip throw up surprises, and to last a lifetime (though you may have to forego some of the more esoteric ingredients or substitute alternatives if you are just after a quick idea for tonight's dinner, but we have never found this to be too much of a problem).
on 10 May 2014
Honestly, guys, this is the best recipe book I have. Everything the 5 star reviews say about it is absolutely true. I am a fairly experienced vegetarian home-cook so I don't need the photos, infact to be honest I only noticed there weren't any when I read these reviews! Everything I have prepared from this book has turned out super delicious even when from the meagre ingredients I thought to myself: well, how is that going to be tasty... I don't have a bad thing to say about it. In the index you can find recipes listed per country, all the grains and beans/pulses dishes are great, and since I cook a lot of indian food anyway (mostly from another Jaffrey book!) I often have all the ingredients I need at hand. I would recommend this book to anyone who is familiar with preparing wholefood and/or vegetarian food and who wants inspirational quality good-result recipes for every occassion. Its inexhaustible! Bon appetit!