on 30 September 2013
I got this Kindle edition after having read 'A Piano in the Pyrenees'. I had read other reviews of Round Ireland with a Fridge and consequently had been really looking forward a enjoying any number of belly laughs with the humour of the book. Perhaps because the book is a little dated now and certainly because I had found 'A piano in the Pyrenees' a laugh-out-loud book, I was somewhat disappointed that I did not find this book as funny as expected. There were some amusing moments but it failed to really get me laughing. The general premise of the book is quite funny and odd, but that was about it.
on 21 November 2016
Only a comic with a unique insight into the bizarre animals we call humans could write this. Excellent for travelling, unless you are driving, a good laugh from beginning to end.
on 29 July 2016
Very funny. The sort of book you look forward to spending time with and feel a bit gutted when it's over.
on 17 April 2017
Laughed and smiled all the way through and I really want to visit the west coast of Ireland now. It was great fun reading this book!
on 26 April 2017
Good book if you want to visit ireland and irish people
on 8 August 2017
Hilarious!! Great read
on 16 April 2017
Amusing
on 7 April 2017
This book was interesting because it made me laugh out loud while I was reading it, which doesn’t often happen. In it, comedian Tony Hawks (as opposed to skateboarder Tony Hawk) treks around the coast of Ireland with a fridge, bumming lifts from people and generally having a jolly old time.

It’s particularly interesting because you can see how Tony’s adventures inspired later comedians and writers like Dave Gorman and his former flatmate, Danny Wallace. I’m a fan of both of those guys, and so it was fun to see where the genre started out. It’s also my friend Neil’s favourite book, and so it was cool to chat to him on the bus every day as I was working my way through it.

The writing is fun and funny, the adventure is frivolous and entertaining, and the book also comes with a bunch of photos from throughout the adventure. The fridge even seems to take on its own personality, and Hawks did a great job of showing off the real characters that he met along the way.

Overall then, it’s a pretty unique little book, and I definitely recommend it if you like to read true stories that make you laugh. And the good news is, Hawks has written at least one other book that I know of, so there’s more of the same if you like it. So grab yourself a copy and say hello to Saiorse for me.
on 5 June 2017
Tony Hawks’ book wasn’t bad, not as funny as the quotes make out; frankly I got a bit bored by half-way, but I continued to the end. I found the story samey, in that he gets from place to place with lifts following several radio broadcasts, looks for a B&B, does a bit of sightseeing, goes out in the night - with and without the fridge, someone friendly buys him a pint, he gets drunk and looks for love.
The book is hugely complimentary to the Irish and their view of life but falls short of a travel essay, some chapters were amusing but never laugh out loud.
on 12 May 1999
Tony Hawks has hit on something special here. Without wanting to sound cliched, this book definitely made me 'laugh out loud'. The whole dynamic of the book rests on the difference between the English and the Irish cultures. It certainly makes us English view ouselves for what we are. Tony Hawks transfers his excellent talent for comedy on to the printed page with ease, and has a sharp eye for character detail, so much so that I found myself really identifying with the characters he meets on his journey. In fact you get so seriously engrossed in the highs and lows of this expedition, that you tend to forget it is a story about a man hitchhiking with a fridge. However absurd the idea, it really doesn't matter. If you can handle bursting into uncontrollable laughter each time you pick this book up, then buy it. A hitchhike has never been so interesting.