on 18 December 2016
Occupies the middle ground between strict routines and leaving the baby in charge! Probably the most useful baby book I've read, particularly on sleep. Had some real insights which I hadn't found elsewhere, even after much trawling of the internet!

I really like her philosophy of treating your baby with respect and recognising (s)he is an individual little person, but at the same time recognising that the baby also has to fit in with the family it's born into.

The EASY (eat/active/sleep) routine is really helpful for the first 3-4 months. However, she advises switching to a 4-hour routine when the baby is 4 months old, and at this point starts to sound more like Gina Ford (not a criticism, just an observation). A 4-hour cycle isn't realistic for every baby - they may need to feed more frequently than this, and their nap times may well still be 30-45 minutes, which would make them struggle to stay awake for a 4-hourly cycle. Hopefully by this stage though, you'll have the confidence to do what's right for you and your baby. I would still recommend this book.
on 13 January 2017
I have been reading reviews of this book, as I wanted to buy it for a friend.
Now that I am well past the baby stage ( My children are 8 and 10) I wanted to help my friend a she faces motherhood for the first time.
I read lots and LOTS of book when I was pregnant and had a new baby. This one and Why love matters are the only two that I found helped me and my little bundles of joy.
Looking back, it is a bewildering and vulnerable time and everyone is full of advice that worked for their kids. But they are all different.
2 people found this helpful
on 21 March 2015
If, like I was, you're in desperate need of some advice on getting your baby into a routine, this is a good place to start. Some of the advice is practical, and I like the fact that parents aren't encouraged to allow babies to lie crying in their cots - rather, you stay with the baby and help them settle.

I never made it through the entire book however - it's long and very wordy, and not usable on a day to day basis when you're a sleep deprived mum! There are condensed versions of the "EASY" routine to be found on countless blogs, and on the Baby Whisperer website. If you're feeling exhausted, fraught and desperate to help the baby get to sleep, this isn't a quick read to turn to for a few quick tips. And although some of the techniques work quite well, I haven't seen a correlation between the way my daughter is put to sleep and the length of time she then sleeps for.

All in all, some fairly decent ideas, but not a one stop solution for tired parents.

One thing I did learn from the Baby Whisperer, however, is that it is possible to lose your voice repeating the sound "shh shh shh" if you do it for long enough.
on 14 April 2016
I tried the whole AP thing with my daughter and as Ms. Hogg says, parenting on demand males demanding babies! If you're thinking of attacent parenting then do yourself a favour and at least read this book, it's a very kind and baby focused approach but it prevents you becoming an exhausted baby wearing, cosleeping, nonstop nursing zombie.
3 people found this helpful
on 3 March 2016
As with any parenting books I take with a pinch of salt and dip in and out as necessary. Wouldn't take everything she says to heart, she seems very anti-breastfeeding though she maintains her views are balanced. EASY routine even when used loosely works well. Take the bits you like from the book and forget the rest - your baby is not a robot! Service from the seller excellent.
3 people found this helpful
on 14 January 2016
Amazing book. Easy to follow & flick through at ungodly hours while feeding a baby & the most common sense of all the books I bought (& threw away, yes I'm talking about you Gina Ford)
If you're only going to buy one book make it this one. My daughter responded brilliantly to an EASY routine & it helped us all find a pattern / rythym in those early newborn days.
She is 11mths old now & we still follow an EASY routine albeit a very loose one.
on 14 April 2015
they should hand this book out at birthing classes. i was at a loss of how to get my baby into a good but not strict routine and to have a happier baby and this book was amazing. im a first time mum and I found it very easy to read and very insightful. i loved the section on what babys movements meant, such as when he claws at his hands it means hes overtired. etc i found it so quick to slot my baby into the easy routine and knowing how to read him better meant he was much happier as i could understand when he was due a feed, nap, play at the right times before he cried. really was the best thing ive bought for baby!
on 2 June 2014
As 2 engineers having their first baby we may as well have been handed an alien in the hospital. What to do with this screaming, angry looking thing. Lucky we had read this book and marked the pages so we were ready to be quiet, observe, calmly try to understand the communicated need from gesture and crying. By our second baby we were pros at this.
I was sad to read that Tracey Hogg passed away not so long ago. Through this book I felt like I almost knew here. A brilliant book where you can learn how to understand body language and baby needs. Also good for alien communication.
2 people found this helpful
on 7 May 2017
My daughter loved this book. She has a very restless baby and after reading the first chapter and putting it into practice actually found time to read the rest.!!!! Granny learnt a lot too and I wish this had been around when my two were babies. Might have had an easier time.
on 11 January 2012
I loved this book and found it very insightful. I loved the section on baby language and interpreting cries and much of the advice was very logical. I definitely feel it helped me to understand my baby better and although I didn't follow the EASY (eat, activity, sleep, you) routine exactly I do now aim to feed my baby on more of a schedule and to include more activity sessions in our day. It was also nice to see that I was already doing a lot of the things Tracy recommends which boosted my confidence immensely. The only thing I didn't really agree with is including activity between the feed and sleep at bedtime as I tend to follow Gina Ford on this one and order things bath, feed, sleep - I feel an activity inbetween would just undo all the winding down of the bath and feed (just my opinion though). Really nice read.