on 16 September 2013
The trouble with ADHD is that the medical establishment in the UK is very far behind what is going on in Australia (where this book originates) and America (where the devastating impact of uncontrolled ADHD on families is acknowledged properly). I believe that there are many many cases of misdiagnosis in the UK, and would urge anyone who suspects their bright child who is so impossible to discipline, who disrupts the family constantly, who shines brightly sometimes, but then completely flunks their exams, whose mood swings and emotional outbursts seem completely out of proportion to the incidents that provoked them, read this book. If you then begin to notice the symptoms in yourself or your partner, that is also a blessing, because ADHD seems to run in families. ADHD is straightforward to treat, unlike most other childhood conditions, and is fairly unique in that it very often has a huge upside of energy and creativity. As it affects the frontal lobe, where impulse control and executive function sits, it often/usually stays into adulthood, and it causes serious unhappy wreckage to families. It only lessens if the adult in question has learned coping strategies that are really helpful, such as routines and self discipline that make up for poor short term memory and impulsiveness. Unfortunately coping strategies that involve being wholly dependent on other adults for your living, or drugs or drink (self medication - the worst of which for this condition being cannabis, which only makes the lack of motivation and memory issues worse), lead to broken marriages, abandoned children, infidelity, lack of self control, even addiction to alcohol and drugs. Dr Green is so calm and sensible, and his Toddler Taming was a bible for me and many of my friends in our early years. I just wish I had read this book when unexplained stuff was going on, and the UK doctors, SENCOs, schools and all were literally no help whatsoever. A single yoga class as a solution? Don't make me laugh.
on 13 July 2010
I have probably now bought at least 10 copies of this book since my child was diagnosed with Attention Defecit Disorder several years ago. I have given them to family members, friends, teachers ... anyone who would come in contact with him and who needed to understand why he behaved the way he did.
The best thing about the book is how positive it is about these special children. It isn't all doom and gloom, but emphasises the good points and is really funny in places. It was a great comfort to me and I have read it through many times. I bought the latest copy last month because I gave my own well thumbed book to a friend who's son was diagnosed. He said it was like a life line to him and showed that diagnosis is not the end of the world.
My son is now 19 and having had a very turbulant adolescence has now come out the other side with a job, a flat of his own and is about to start college. I am so proud of him, but I would have found it much harder to accept the foibles of his condition without this wonderful book.
on 4 February 2002
Forget ADHD for one moment - this book is a fantastic read for any parent with a child who can sometimes be difficult, high on life or just a handful! My son has two or three tendencies towards ADHD (my reason for purchasing) so is not classed as hyperactive - it doesn't, however, make him any easier to deal with!
The book gives excellent, common sense advice, to those who may be too close to the situation to be able to be to make rational decisions on how to deal with the latest blips in behaviour!
Excellent.
on 12 October 2004
A must read for anyone who knows or suspects their child has ADHD. The book is wrote in a very informative but easy to read way. It includes brilliant tips on how to control an ADHD child and also how to understand them.
on 11 June 2003
7 years ago I read "Toddler Taming" by the same author and first began to suspect that my daughter had ADHD after reading his chapter on the condition. Now it has been extended to cover an entire book. Handled with wit, charm and an easy style, "Understanding ADHD" is the perfect book for those approaching the subject for the first time. The humourous illustrations and descriptions of typical daily frustrations for the ADHDer, show the whole family that someone else understands! A good read.
on 5 March 2001
I am the mother of an ADD child, and first read this book about three years ago. It contains plenty of information on possible causes, symptoms, lookalike conditions, medication, suggestions for parents and teachers, diagnostic criteria and lots more. While providing all the main facts it is also easy to read , and contains some amusing cartoon type drawings which help lighten the content while ably depicting the ADD child in action...I would recommend this book to any parent who suspects their child may have ADD, and to teachers, who I feel need more information about the condition.
on 3 February 2000
I first read this book in 1997 when my first son was diagnosed as having attention deficit disorder. Before he was diagnosed I had never heard of ADD so I went out and bought the book hoping for an insight into this 'new lable' my son had been given. I have found the book to be an absolute well of inspiration, I have found the 'what parents tell us' sections both informative and amusing, I wouldn't be without it. since I bought the book, my youngest son has been diagnosed, alot quicker than the first! as my knowledge of the condition has been expanded by the book. Its my Bible!
on 15 January 2001
At last someone has written about my child. This book is about real children, their real problem and real life situations. Above all, it is easy to read. At times it is very funny but at other times it will make make you want to cry. After reading this book I knew how to explain about him to supportive family and friends, as well as how to fight his corner. The book gives insights on ADHD children of a wide age range and helps you as the parent see things from your child's perspective as he grows up. Useful section for teachers. Wholeheartedly recommend this book.
on 7 March 2002
This is, quite simply, the best book to read in order to gain a good grounding in ADHD. It is written by a man with a sense of humour and an ability to explain the ins and outs of this horrible disorder. It gives facts and explanations about the causes and effects of ADHD, as well as a good sensible guide to the treatments available. It is a must for parents, teachers and indeed, children who are old enough to understand. Read it and be grateful that there are people like Christopher Green around to help us!!
I purchased this for my partner who has just discovered that his 16 year old son has adhd.

Both myself and my partner found this book an essential tool in understanding the disease and understanding the coping mechanisms for parents and carers.

Before this book, we were constantly pulling our hair out trying to deal with his behaviour, and it got to the point where our relationship was on the verge of collapsing.

This book not only made us better parents to him, but made us better to each other.

Invaluable.