on 5 July 2016
My views of this Volume would be:-
1) it just shows that political, military & diplomatic objectives should be co-ordinated;
2) it is worth reading the Series as a first-hand account of the overall picture which there can't be many of! You soon become aware of his dislikes;
3) I think Churchill's strength was his ability to say the right thing, to the right person, at the right time!
4) I suppose if you're keen you can look up the various Agreements, Treaties & Conferences along the way if they are available! (I notice he says somewhere "Of all the public documents I have written..." & "its context in the secret records";
5) his unique contributions were getting France a Zone & alerting the world to the 'Iron Curtain';
6) it makes you wonder that the Berlin Wall took so long to fall! (I didn't realise there were 5 Zones after Potsdam - Poland got one)!;
7) I'd forgotten that the Russian Zone included Austria after Potsdam & that Berlin & Vienna were International Occupation;
8) it's interesting that Nuremberg & Frankfurt fall in the American Zone;
9) I didn't know that the 4 Zones were agreed with Roosevelt before he died before Truman came on the scene!;
10) what has surprised me the most is how highly Churchill regarded Eden & you would say friends!;
11) all the messages between the 3 Great Powers - Roosevelt, Churchill & Stalin are so friendly but that is the way people spoke to each other in those days.

I think this Volume could be read in isolation by my father's generation but for a younger person like myself best to read the Series in order so you can follow Churchill's thoughts!
on 7 July 2017
I hadn't expected to enjoy Churchill's in his own words as much as I did.The 'voice' that comes over in this abridgement, is calm and authoritative, laying out the sequence of events (not necessarily always in sequence), that will encourage the reader to pursue further, points of interest arising from the text. Even more curious, are Churchill's relationships with Roosevelt (almost sycophantic) and Stalin (deeply worried), a revealing discourse over many summits, you want to believe to be accurately portrayed .( He also loved the odd 'jolly', visiting his troops and commanders wherever they might be, which I'm sure had a positive effect). Reads like a thriller, recommended.
on 13 November 2013
For someone who was born when the Second world War had finished by a few years, this is a wonderful insight into Churchill's role as leader of the British and Commonwealth countries, and it's relationship with the US. The man wrote so many letters and memos to President Roosevelt, armed forces chief and Ministers of State, it is a wonder that the great man didn't die of exhaustion before the conflict was over. So far, on that score, it is a great book.

However, this e-book had one big flaw, which almost spoilt my reading of it. How an ebook is prepared and published, I'm not sure. Presumably the an original copy is scanned by a machine and transferred into a format that can publish it via the Internet. In this book, and I haven't finished it yet, the pages are littered with errors, to the point that it stops your flow as you have to sit there and work out what the word should be. To give an example; the word 'Une' cropped up. Eventually, I realised that the word that should be there was 'line'. The capital 'U' was in fact, 'li'.

It may seem to be a petty complaint, but these types of errors are there in great numbers. The worst I've come across in the ebooks that I've read so far.
on 28 October 2014
Having read a number of histories of this period I had never read Churchill's own account. I purchased the kindle version for taking on holiday. Of course it is biased being Churchill's own account and written while he was still an active politician. It was fascination to understand his thinking and to realise even more how prescient he had been in the 1930s. An excellent book, I will certainly read the other volumes (I am halfway through volume 2 at the moment).
on 7 May 2014
A real eye opener on how not to behave when an obvious threat appears on the world stage.The British and French
tried to ignore it whilst Hitler and his gang gobbled up other countries and got away with it.The few would never have
been so few if we had armed ourselves properly and faced up to reality. Fascinating and well written,Churchill's famous
book deserves to be read.
on 26 December 2016
This book enables us to see History from within. Above all its reading is still very current and Europe would do well to re read it at this moment when the immigration crisis is a major threat, and when people with the same good feelings that weŕe displayed in front Hitler's rise contribute to a yet another brutal awakening.
on 20 April 2015
Reedition with updated cover at reasonable price

The meaning of the book needs no comment!

The "hardware" itself is an economical reedition of an/the older issue with a new cover design. Its more solid than the penguin paperbacks. What strikes is that the printing ink fades when touched with the fingers :-(

In general to my opinion a really recommendable matter to read - even today...
on 1 July 2016
His journalistic training in South Africa as a war correspondent did come in handy after all! I didn't know Whitley was an aircraft.
on 26 September 2013
For any student of history; for anyone with an interest in the prelude to World War II or for anyone who wishes to know what it is to be a leader I urge you to read this book.

I must add that the book is not always easy and that it contains a great deal of fact. It is not a beach or airplane read for everyone but it is a book that everyone (and in particular out political representatives) should or MUST read!
on 29 June 2017
Love it, its a classic. I now have a hard copy of the six volumes and this one which I am using for studying on my kindle. Brilliant Chrurchill.