Customer reviews

The Jeeves Omnibus - Vol 1: (Jeeves & Wooster): No.1
Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 3 June 2017
Perfect. This bumper Jeeves Omnibus (Volume 1) contains 'Thank You Jeeves', ' The Code of the Woosters' and 'The Inimitable Jeeves'. An absolute pure joy to read. Wodehouse never fails to please. Witty, tongue in cheek and bursting with humour on every single page. Bertie and Jeeves are a match made in heaven. Fabulous to get this volume on a Kindle deal too. If anyone is new to the pleasure of Wodehouse this is a wonderful place to start - I'm sure you'll find yourself re-reading them too, as I do, whenever you need a smile (or a jolly good belly laugh!) Highly, highly and highly again recommended!
on 18 July 2017
After seeing/listening to all the various stuff on the telly (Fry and Laurie) and the radio (Blandings) I've always enjoyed Wodehouse but never really considered reading the stuff. What an error....the books are sooooo....much better than the stuff on the media - really enjoyable and very funny! Buy this Omnibus edition right now!
on 30 November 2012
P. G.. Woodhouse was one of the greatest humorists writing in the English language in the first half of the 20th century. His books seem no longer to appear on the shelves of public libraries so it is difficult to get a sample of them.

The present volume is available on e-books at a modest cost. Using Kindle it is possible to sample a chapter before making the purchase.

The is at present on television various period dramas, and indeed the Jeeves book have been made into a television series. Nothing however beats the original.

The books are set in the vaguely inter-war period when a young bachelor from a rich family was given an allowance which enabled him to maintain a bachelor apartment in London with a personal man servant or valet who pressed the suits, did light cooking and generally maintained the apartment.

The central theme of the story is the contrast between the dim but university-educated young man, Bertie Wooster, and the very clever valet.. This is famously marked in the language each speaks. The rich young man habitually uses slang, while the valet, called Jeeves, speaks like a pedantic old-fashioned teacher of English. 'The weather is rather inclement, sir' is typical.

Equally famous is the complexity of the plots, the action usually taking place in a country house. Bertie is usually trying to avoid being ensnared in matrimony with one of the young ladies in the house. Or alternatively one or other of Bertie's friends is trying to marry one of the young ladies. All Bertie's efforts make the matter worse, until Jeeves devises a solution. Also famous are Bertie's formidable aunts who think it is time he settled down.

Whether you have read Woodhouse before or not, now is the time to download the books on to your reader.
on 30 November 2017
It's Wodehouse! If you've never read him, then you're living under a very strange rock and I feel very sorry for you indeed. This however, is your chance to make amends and/or pass the code of the Wooster's, on to new gangly generation. Clearly paper, was never put to better use!
One person found this helpful
on 15 May 2018
Brilliant - just buy it (I'll be getting the other volumes when finished this one). I would admit to having greatly enjoyed the enactment of Jeeves and Wooster by Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurrie - but reading the original books is even better. Couldn't recommend more highly.
on 23 October 2009
I first borrowed this omnibus edition about ten years ago from a library and really enjoyed it. I'd only seen the TV series with Fry and Laurie at that point and had no other experience of PG Wodehouse or these characters. When I spotted this book on Amazon recently I ordered my own copy to re-read with the hope that I'd enjoy it again and I'm pleased to say that I wasn't disappointed. Very few books make me laugh when I read them but this one had me laughing out loud repeatedly, though I did get a few funny looks whilst reading it in public.
I've enjoyed this one so much that I plan to read more in the series.
2 people found this helpful
on 2 November 2017
If you have never read PG Wodehouse, do it - it's great fun and great reading.
2 people found this helpful
on 19 February 2018
I have loved Jeeves and Wooster all my life In fact, I love everything ever written by the magical PG Wodehouse.
on 24 April 2018
Probably the funniest writer in English - and so quintessentially English to boot.
on 9 June 2017
One of the few authors who can make me chuckle out loud (Spike Milligan and Douglas Adams are in the same club) with his use of language. Original and witty, this is a must-read for anyone with an active funny-bone.
One person found this helpful