Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Learn more

Customer reviews

on 2 March 2018
This book is one of many in my collection but is in my opinion one of the very best,giving access to a plethora of brilliant traditional recipes,absolutely brilliant
on 17 July 2017
This was a present for a family member. They had been after this book for ages and to get it in hardback version was even better, so I love this.
on 11 December 2015
Really good cook book for a fella.
on 26 September 2014
I lost my original copy in a house fire and missed so many of the good old dishes. Wonderful to find a copy and cook my favorites again.
on 15 September 2017
Second copy as its so popular in our family
on 24 August 2010
I was given this book as a birthday present 30 years ago, long before John Seymour and his famous 'Self-sufficiency'. I can remember the excitement as I realised that making wine, beer, bread, pickles, jam, cheese, not to mention canning, bottling, salting, drying and preserving were all possible in my own kitchen. It was like walking into an Aladdin's cave, and headed me towards the cottage small-holding lifestyle I've embraced ever since.
This lady writes with knowledge and enthusiasm, and if my book always falls open to the brown-stained page for Barm brack, it's because it's simply the best (and simplest) tea loaf recipe I've ever come across.
on 22 March 2018
Ours is a 1979 edition and has been used since I gave it to my wife for Christmas 1987. Good wholesome English cooking.
on 14 October 2003
Norwak's recipe book ranges across soups, preserves, main courses, seasonal food, baking, sausages, the whole gamut of down-to-earth, honest fare. If anyone doubts the quality of farmhouse cooking in the British Isles, read this book. Recipes are easily followed and should be a good guide for the novice keen to explore traditional, hearty cooking. Excellent addition to anyone's library ... and a sound reference guide for the writer trying to capture a flavour of traditional cuisine.
on 5 December 2010
I originally bought this book in the 70s, but it had been used so often that all the pages had come loose, so I ordered a replacement. It is brilliant for such things as cooking game, making tasty pies (especially steak and kidney, and chicken and parsley) and making the old fashioned puddings such as treacle tart and baked apple dumplings we use to have as children. It is old fashioned country cooking so may not appeal to everyone.
on 14 February 2013
This was a gift for a neighbour who's original book was iin bits and well-loved. She was thrilled with her replacement.