Customer reviews

on 11 November 2012
I've found this really useful as I'm studying horticulture, has everything you need to help along the way, very well written, explained very clearly and very easy to understand. Would be lost without it!
on 17 December 2011
This is an excellent book to help me with my RHS Level 2 studies. Easy to read and good graphics. Well worth buying
on 17 December 2011
This is the first book review I have written for Amazon, but I regret to say that this is the shoddiest textbook I have ever read (not to mention over-priced)! I did my A-levels 40-odd years ago, and the school provided much better textbooks than this (they were hard-bound, for a start). Frankly, this book should be pitched at Level 3.

First, the book needs a full Table of Contents (not just chapter headings) while the lack of a Glossary is inexcusable (sheer negligence). The chapters on plant biology (3 - 10) are vague and confusing. [The authors should read Botany for Gardeners (Timber Press, 2010).] The bibliographies at the end of each chapter should be replaced by references corresponding to the text, with a full Bibliography at the end of the book. Many of the tables are poorly arranged, with obvious typographical errors. Most of the poor-quality photos, wide margins and numerous blank pages are a criminal waste of paper. There should be an Appendix devoted to elementary chemistry (atoms, ions, valency, pH etc) and other appendices containing tabulated data (plant families). The entire book should be edited and completely re-designed, and deserves a better standard of production (instead of thin paper, poor-quality printing and flimsy covers). Finally, the sordid matter of price - if this book cost £15, I would call it mediocre, but £25 is a bare-faced rip-off! I hope the authors start work immediately on the 7th edition, and do their job properly.
33 Comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 September 2013
just what i needed for college, in great condition. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to study horticulture.
on 22 May 2014
Written I believe with RHS course syllabus in mind. Extremely useful adjunct for studying. Clearly written with good diagrams and pictures. Pity it's not hardback and the paper quality is horribly thin. This is not an easy book to 'handle'. It's very expensive for a paperback but a very useful textbook for RHS level 2.
on 22 November 2012
perfect, good information,good layout a good way to learn about gardening and horticulture,for me a good price. i think all the info and stuff that amazon has on this is enough for me to deside that it is the right book for me.
on 12 September 2013
My son in law loves this book we got him for a course he is doing. I like it as it's very reasonably priced.
on 20 April 2012
This book arrived swiftly and in superb condition.

It is a must for any serious horticulturist, maintaining their own allotment or running a business.
on 13 January 2016
A fantastic book, full of advice and help. Very informative and clear guides and advice.
on 3 August 2014