Customer reviews

on 16 June 2014
I bought this book a while back now and it has good me through 3 levels of mechanic's courses. Packed full of information which tells you about everything you want to know about vehicle repair and the vehicle's parts. Mine may be dusty now and used less but it is brilliant for rookies to professionals. Buy this book. To inform though, don't let a mate use it as a weapon, it is big, heavy and gave me concussion.
on 15 March 2017
Ace mechanics friend.
on 12 September 2015
My focus is on the electrical part, this book is passing the electrical way to little and to fast. I think the book is ok if you are looking for some mechanical information, but not if you are looking for electrical systems.
on 3 February 2012
Full of colour images and easy to follow explainations, this book is the best available for automotive students. It covers everything you need and is even ideal for DIY mechanics. I particularly liked how the book was split into chapters to match all qualifications and then into sections and sub-sections with lots of images, bullets and tables and stuff so that it was easy to learn from. Another book by the same guy that I think is good: Advanced Automotive Fault Diagnosis
on 2 November 2012
Easy to follow, a must for Motor Vehicle students, I have been teaching for 5 years and this is the best book I have seen to learn and to teach from. Tom Denton has strong links with the IMI and the safety tips and hints are perfect to learn from..
on 27 March 2013
I was a competent DIY'er up to and including electronic ignition on car and motorcycles..
Once ABS, Traction control, electronic fuel injection, CanBus, EGR,PCV and ECU's all came along I gave up.
Not forgetting variable valve timing and the never-ending list of expensive special tools required.
Modern automobiles seem to have too many sensors up the Ying-Yang all sending ambiguous signals.
I now know why main dealers and independents cannot fix my car properly. (318 Touring.)
They are just too complicated but still fail and leave you stranded and requiring towing to a dealer with good diagnostic equipment. This book, in conjunction with two others I bought are helping to lift the fog.
It may help to make my car more reliable and also enables me to accept that they can and will let me down.
I will eventually give up driving and subsidising car companies who, with modern technology, could build a car to last 50 years. But don't.
on 4 July 2013
It's written in great detail, there are loads of diagrams, the depth is solid, it's informative, you're not far off from fault here.
on 17 January 2014
Bought this for the Kindle and wasn't disappointed. A well written, very useful reference book for those who are studying to be an automotive technician and a useful 'aide memoire' for established mechanics. It doesn't hurt to look through it even if you've been working on cars for many, many years - in fact anyone who says they don't need to learn any more are probably best avoided since automotive technology doesn't stand still and is always advancing. Learning never stops.
This book will ensure a solid foundation for learning all things automotive especially those who don't mind getting their hands dirty (actually since the book covers health and safety in detail and PPE, one hopes the reader will be wearing protective gloves when working on a car as oils and fluids are harmful to skin - this book explains and discusses that too)
on 24 March 2013
This is such a good read. I have bought Hilliers books in the past and whilst they too are excellent, I have found Tom Denton lays it out in a more user friendly manner.

Many thanks.
on 6 June 2013
My husband bought this, for him to learn. It has many good illustrations and explanations inside this book. It is easy to learn and follow.