on 16 February 1998
I have read this book and am using it as a source while writing a C++ program (console) which utilizes ODBC calls. Though the book is quite helpful, I am now here at Amazon looking for a book with more specifics!!! The examples do work, but are often so simple that when you get to a 'real world' complex query, they are of little assistance. Definitely will NOT be the only resource you'll need to develop a complete application using ODBC.
on 27 March 1998
This is inarguably the best book on straight ODBC API. Very lucid in its presentation and full of practical examples, every page is packed with all the essential information. This is really a serious book for the serious ODBC programmers and every tool and technique to get the job done can be found in this book. My only wish is that the authors would update this book from ODBC v2.0 to v3.0, perhaps also include a few chapters on OLEDB.
on 11 November 1998
I had a situation come up where I needed to access an Oracle 7 stored procedure that returned output parameters and no results set. The Microsoft Visual C++ CRecordset classes don't handle that situation very well. The only solution was to drop down into ODBC API calls. I struggled until I found this book. It takes a lot of the mystery out of an extremely complex API. It pretty much rides around in my backpack everywhere I go now!
on 27 August 1998
Buy it, this book contains many recommendations how to write programs using ODBC. Great book even for an experienced professional.