on 13 January 2015
This is really interesting book! I love reading it as it is easy to understand. Author has got a very positive personality and has a good points of view. I hope, it will help me to understand what I really want. And move on with my career life. I need that.
on 28 February 2009
Good book if you're tired of the day job and longing to find a way to do what you love. Excellent for working out what you're good at, what you enjoy. Also good for rethinking the 'traditional' job search process.
One person found this helpful
on 18 July 2014
Perfect gift for my brother
on 7 July 2010
I've bought a fair number of careers advice books in my time, but this one is the best bar none. It takes you through a lot of very probing questions that help you to feel certain and clear about what you want. This change in attitude definitely helps with any job search. Confidence is key.

You have to read this book with a piece of paper next to you, writing down thoughts and ideas, as well as doing the exercises as you go along. It helps to crystalise important points, and makes it easier for you to prepare for your next interview or job application.

When you're done with the book, look back on your notes and formulate your personal statement, as well as any answers you could give interviewers with respect to skills, competencies, and examples of goals achieved.

This book has helped me sharpen my job searching strategy and has already helped me: I've been shortlisted for a job somewhat outside of my field of expertise. Here's wishing me luck!
2 people found this helpful
on 22 December 2008
Having assisted people into work for the last 20 years. I recommend this book to clients as it provides a straightforward no nonsense approach, it is easy to read and up to date. Everyone thinks they are an expert when it comes to CV's etc but it is good to find out what a real expert thinks and is using up to the minute approaches. It is useful if you have just lost your job through redundancy, a first jobber or for dealing with long term unemployment. Most books of this nature only seem to cater for the recent graduate this provides help for everyone. Many of my clients that I have recommended this book to have gone on to find sustainable employment and feel sufficintly skilled to tackle the job market.
on 5 July 2001
This book is an absolute must not only for those who are entering employment for the first time but also for those who are reviewing their career options. The book takes the reader creatively through assessing change, identifying skills, and there are plenty of exercises to give the reader insights into their true potential. In addition to career planning there is a very interesting chapter on creative job search strategies so that the reader can start the change process. The chapter on interviews and how to survive them gives valuable tips on putting yourself across in the best possible light whilst helping the reader to understand what is going on during the interview. All in all this book is a must for anyone who is serious about their work and future career.
9 people found this helpful
on 12 May 2002
How to Get A Job You'll Love is very well structured. So, whether you are looking for a fundamental career change, or are very happy with what you do but need a change of scenery and require advice with a job search strategy, you will find something in it to help.
It is quite easy to pick and choose the sections, which you need. Don't however be deceived by the apparent slimness of the book, to get the most out of it there are a number of taxing exercises which will require a considerable degree of effort. The results amply repay the effort.
For me the sections on my own motivation and the identification of skills were ideal and gave me just the sort of insights I needed. Anyone seriously looking to manage his or her own career should read this book. Whatever your personal requirements it has something for you.
12 people found this helpful
on 6 February 2009
Can this book change your life? Yes, if you use it. Rather than starting with the job, it starts with you. You build up a picture of the things you love doing, naturally gravitate to, have a talent for, would do without being paid etc etc. It uses a lot of exercises which force you to think actively and analyse your situation for yourself... The endgame is showing you how to then define your dream job and actively hunt it down rather than just fruitless hunting through the recruitment pages or expecting a headhunter to do it for you.

A great tool and I wholeheartedly endorse it but be prepared to do the work yourself
One person found this helpful
on 8 March 2009
I had been working in the same industry for a number of years and was working for a very challenging employer when I purchased this book. I can honestly say that reading it and actioning some of the exercises has been a life changing experience.. I now work in a very positive environment doing a job I love. The salary might not be as much as I previously earned but I am happy. I would recommend this book to anyone.
on 6 November 2003
Facing a career change is an enormous challenge and I found this book very helpful. The chapters on career buttons and field generator were particularly useful - helping me work out what is important to me and my areas of interest. There is a lot in the book and, with just over 250 pages, size could be a bit offputting. But it addresses everything from understanding yourself, to getting to the interview to even giving advice on using careers advisors. A great resource guide and well worth the read.