on 16 July 2008
I bought this book before embarking on potty training my 2.5 year old daughter. I was encouraged by the customer review and thought I would go ahead and buy it - I was not disappointed.

Having read the Gina Ford book (Potty Training in One Week), I knew that approach was not for me - far too regimented and unrealistic and no FUN!

This book has a real common sense approach to training with lots of advice on pre-training, setting up, prize/reward systems, dealing with (inevitable) accidents, and follow-up advice once your child becomes independent.

I have read and re-read this book - it seems to have an answer for any problem which arises during the training period. I followed her advice and my little girl is now pretty independent after a couple of weeks of training - we've had accidents along the way but we are getting there.

The book advises a light-hearted, "let's make this fun" kind of approach which appealed to me and, more importantly, WORKED !!

Good Luck !
0Comment| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 September 2017
I don't usually write reviews but this book is fantastic! It's not a one size fits all plan for potty training but instead gives lots of ideas to pick and choose from.

I've only read it through once and my little one is on day one of training. I've known she was ready for a while but I just didn't know how to help her and any time I tried she ended up just going to the toilet on the floor. I've implemented some of the things whilst reading the book and she is now no longer scared of the potty and she's used it (with my help) all afternoon today! My attitude towards training has completely changed as I thought it was all or nothing which I now know is wrong :)
on 1 February 2017
Can't praise this book enough within 3 days of going over this book we had a dry boy! I would totally recommend this book to anybody who feels their child is ready but are struggling to get dry!
on 19 August 2015
Best potty training book we bought - don't bother with the others. Takes the pressure of you as a parent and provides lots of helpful suggestions on how to engage a little one in potty training. We tried lots of books and website advice as our LO was refusing to train, despite being ready physically for about a year. This one just gave us enough confidence to do it well and it has been a breeze.
on 17 February 2015
Okay but doesn't give you much in the way of alternative method to Gina Ford.
on 25 June 2017
Overall this book did the job I needed well. I wasn't looking for a step by step guide - more just reassurance that the approach we were taking to potty train with my daughter was reasonable overall and a bit of a confidence boost to just give it some time.

I found some of the prudishness (or concessions to readers potential prudishness) a bit odd. It had never occurred to me to worry about my daughter catching site of a man weeing if her dad needs to take her into the gents.

I liked the fact that the language in the book had been adapted for the UK but it was amusing to note that this had clearly been done using 'search and replace': at least one inappropriate replacement of store with shop.
on 13 June 2012
I love Elizabeth Pantley's approach - as soon as I read the first page of this book I knew it was the one for me, because its very gentle, yet very empowering too. What I find unique about Pantley's work is that she doesn't zero in on the child and getting them to do what you want ... She talks about the partnership between parent and child, the need for understanding, co-operation, using techniques and ideas that suit yours and your child's personality, as well as making learning these new skills fun. It was a real eye-opener reading the page which explained just how much you are asking your child to take on board when you embark upon potty training - no wonder so many other systems just don't work, because they treat potty training as an "event" rather than the inevitable learning process that it actually is. Using Pantley's readiness test, I began "pre-training" with my son many months before we actually went for the Active Training stage. And the results were fantastic - he just seemed to "get it" really quickly because we'd done the ground work together before hand. In just a few weeks I found I had a happy, confident and completely toilet trained little boy, and will definitely use this book again when my daughter becomes ready. Fantastic!
on 16 May 2010
I loved the quiz in this book, it helps you decided if your child is ready to use a potty/toilet themselves, or if its just wishful thinking on the parents part. I bought it when my daughter was 2 and showed signs of being ready, but I thought she was still a bit young.
I did the quiz and it said she's ready and gave some very practical suggestions, which I tried and she was out of nappies in a few days.
I think the difference between now a days and our parents days is that these days, with such good disposables, its far harder to recognise the signs, for us and our kids. Plus its so much easier, no washing nappies 3 times a week for us, so we can tend to let it slide for much longer.
If you're happy to wait till they are ready (ie, can tell you themselves they need the loo) and want an easy time for both child and adult, (without having to ask every 5 mins, all day long, for months 'Do you need a wee'), then this is the book for you.
on 16 June 2017
Yet again Elizabeth Pantley really does show you how to help your child through the potty training journey with compassion. I had previously used the no cry sleep solution book which we used with great success. This book is currently helping me with child number 2. Highly recommend.
on 5 February 2014
A great book with lots of great ideas on how to initiate potty training and how to deal with problems when they arise once 'trained'! I was a bit sceptical as I really didn't like The No Cry Sleep Solutions and really didn't get on with any of her 'methods' but this book is great. I ordered it in desperation 6 weeks into training my 2.5 yr old daughter who had become v stubborn and refused to poo on the potty/toilet. She has some good ideas for solving these problems (am yet to find out if they work....!) but also having read the earlier chapters id really wished i'd read this before starting as she has some great ideas on how to make going to the potty 'fun' etc to encourage your child. Def recommended!