on 8 December 2017
One of the only books that I found on this particular topic. It could do with more examples but overall it suited my needs.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 28 February 2002
The first few chapters of this book can be a little tedious, data gathering and countless case studies are not easy reading, but in comparison to other books on the subject the authors have made them as interesting as possible. The book is easy to understand and is fairly thorough in explanations. For anyone studying Information Systems or Systems Analysis then this is the quintessential book on the subject and probably the only book you'll need to buy.
on 4 May 2005
One of the units on our course recommended this book, so like any good student I spent a small fortune and got a copy to my dissapointment!
My problem with this book is that it dwells on a couple of case studies in such a boring wordy way that finding truly useful facts becomes a chore. This book has also tried to be an all-in-one solution to the subject.
If your a student like me who doesn't have enough hours in the day to read all the recommended text thrown your way then I recommend you buy a couple of dedicated books for the same price, one covering just the UML and the other on requirements enginnering.
on 5 September 2001
I used this book for my first year at University. It gave me a good basic understanding of OO design and though I did find it quite informative the layout and language did not keep my attention for long, and I found myself struggling to keep up. A good introduction, but I think I'll try one of the other titles for better understanding and depth.
on 26 November 2001
I would agree with the sentiments of the comments above. True, it is a heavy-going book, but that's the point. Object-orientation isn't the easiest subject in the world to master but this will help you on your way. Personally, I found the book extremely useful as a reference rather than one that would be read from cover-to-cover. A case study is used throughout the book to try and show the implications and reasonings behind the decisions that OO A&Ds will make. For those new to the area, or if you are an undergrad, read this after the UML Distilled book by Martin Fowler, and you will then get the maximum value out of it.
on 20 November 2001
It's a shame I cannot give this a negative star rating. This is a very disappointing book. It's title is very misleading and incorrect. If it was titled Object-Oriented Software Development, then I would have expected the contents of the book to be broadly along the lines that it is, and I would not have bought it.
However, the cover says Object-Oriented Systems Analysis and Design (adding as an afterthought, or so it seems, Using UML). Therein lies the problem, Analysis and Design is precisely that - analysis of software requirements (and I would include in this requirement capture) and design of software through the use of UML. I would expect to see everything to do with use cases, class diagrams and sequence or collaboration diagrams and I would expect to see how the UML model progresses through the stages. I did not see clear evidence of this, and the description of how the model changes is presented in a very weak manner. The example projects, I thought, were boring and half-hearted.
So why are there chapters on Human Computer Interaction and style guides (containing diagrams resembling Jackson Structured Design - its a UML book!). Data Management describing file systems and file organisation (i.e. how data is written to a disk file system - what for?). Relational Database design (someone has to know this, but is it relevant to software objects as to how static data is held). Sections on Implementation, Maintenance and reuse, User Guides, Training and Managing OO projects (What for?). Discussions on waterfall lifecycles without the same emphasis placed on OO lifecyles. These and other topics cover about half the book.
I found the 482 pages very boring, most of which is irrelevant to the topic of systems analysis and design.
This book even as an OO software development book could benefit from 60% of the text being removed and far more diagrams introduced. They seem to be writing for the sake of it. It is complete waffle in places. I do believe it is a book written by academics for academics and students and bears little resemblance to the world of real software development.
Excellent books, even if they are thin, are still purchased by students especially when they get exactly what they are looking for.
on 18 November 2009
To be fair i have not yet completed reading this comprehensive work.... and am somewhat biased as this is a set text on my M.Sc., so its not as if i bought it for fun..... that said this is one of the very very few textbooks i have encountered which brings its subject to life to the extent that i find myself reading this book with real interest, not just as a captive audience member.

Comprehensive, nicely written, excellent examples and an innovative layout with 2 very different but highly explanatory case studies included.. This is a book I expect to hold on to and to refer back to long after my studies are completed.
on 20 August 2001
This book gives me the impression that the authors have spent little time working in a commercial environment. It seems to be aimed at university students, probably those studying at De Montford Univesity where the 3 authors work. I find the contents very dry - it's the sort of book where I can read no more than 2 or 3 pages at a time. When it starts talking about other methods, it gives the impression that the authors have heard a lot about the problems as consultants, but they don't convince me they know what they're talking about.
It's nice to see a book on IT not written by Americans. Good try, but I would recommend looking elsewhere.
on 17 October 2004
This book is a terrible read. It's hard to follow as the writing is so uninspiring.
You need to read it from start to finish (torture) as it constanstly refers to examples. This makes it useless as a reference book.
It is the recommended text book at my university and has received terrible feedback from all the students.
on 7 August 2013
The book delivers quite well and I found it very useful for the course I was preparing to teach. It is good that it has only one example to take the student through the principles of systems analysis. I think the approach helps better understanding. Good job by the author. The book itself was physically new-looking. I would recommend it to those who want to learn the ropes in OO systems analysis.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse