Customer reviews

on 20 February 2013
Great book. David Bordwell is a superb writer. I have been looking forward to this for a while. Thank you!
on 15 March 2013
If you are planning to buy the last edition of this book because of the access the connect card will give you to the Criterion Collection clips plus all the online assignments, quizzes and practice tests... Be warned: they don't work as self study, even if the book brings the card with a 'reveal access code' and the special link to 'self study'. I believe it's a bit of a fraud and does not honour Mc Graw Hill's commercial fairness. Why do you sell something and do not provide the service? Only answer on McGraw website is: "Self-Study is not enabled for this ISBN". Several similar complains on amazon.com by US customers prove that this it's not just a matter of IP rights outside the US.

I bought this book through amazon.com because the last new edition was not available in the UK some months ago. I was hoping to get the more up-to-date edition with Connect Film: the 'groundbreaking integrated digital program [that] uses extensive clips from the Criterion Collection and interactive assessments'... Connect Film only breaks your pocket. Do not spend an absurd amount of money on the 10th Edition. Buy yourself an older edition of this excellent book, new or used, for a fraction of the price.
on 27 June 2006
If you are, then this book is essentail. Im actually studyin for a post production, and needed a backing to film, its history and varying processes. this book will guide you from how a scene is actually put onto film stock, through to projection, with great detail into mise-en-scene, editing, cinematography, movements in film style etc. also comes with an interactive cd which allows you to watch clips of case studies from the chapters. the cd also gives you a quiz on each chapter and scores you on your knowledge, while giving you brief summaries of each chapters content. really good read, 500 pages longs so may take a while to get through but really does cover what you need to know to get into the field. it gives numerous references at the end of each chapter so you can more into detail about what you find interesting or you think you need more detail on. all in all, great read and deserving of 5 stars.
on 7 December 2013
Okay so I started University back in September and I'm studying Film. My seminar teacher was very vocal about students getting this book as opposed to borrowing it from the library seeing that it won't always be available.

I ended up buying the book despite the high cost of 40 pounds -- do I regret it? Absolutely not!

The book is quite thick and is packed with all the topics you are going to be covering in your Film course, assuming you are using this for your course. Even if you're buying this for another reason, the book is filled with information from mise-en-scene, cinematography, film form, lots and lots and lots of examples with screenshots and images from films such as Avatar that explains how CGI works in those films to motion capture and so much more.

It even recommends you which films to watch in every topic you read. So if I was looking at lighting, it would recommend me to watch a specific film and shows me images that explain the topic more to the knowledge of understanding. I absolutely love this book!

It has helped me so much to engage with students during seminars and talk with my seminar leader about things I'm curious to talk about. Yes, the book is expensive but it's AH-mazing! I absolutely love it and seeing that my course is three years long, it's going to benefit me and shape me to become the film director I'm aspiring to become. :)

Sidenote: In this book, you'll also learn more about directors, actors, settings, shooting a movie, behind the scenes of how stuff comes together like Lord of the Rings and their incredible use of computer generated motion techniques, etc. I can't praise this book enough.

Hope my review will convince at least somebody out there that you get what you pay for. :)
on 24 March 2013
This is your one stop book for anything to do with film - how they're made to how we understand them.

Hugely illustrated with endless references to films both popular and obscure.

The associated website is excellent too.

Another book that encourages as much as it challenges.
on 3 November 2013
essential reading for a Film studies University course I bought this for my son as recommended by the course, he said that it is 4 stars
on 26 May 2013
Comprehensive if a little academic in style - great pity they advertise use of the website but it is not available to UK customers
on 27 August 2015
a bit wordy, looking for definitions of terms takes time. Other than that good balance of techniques and examples
on 29 January 2016
Great book for those studying Film/Television or keen to know more - has helped me in my degree many times!
on 4 January 2016
Awesome seller. Late review.. I'll keep it simple.. This is the only strong! source you will need for uni.