on 4 June 2006
I think compared to the Sybex books (that cost nearly three times as much as this book), this guide is better value for money. I bought the Sybex books as a set and read both of them, but after nearly failing the OCA exam because there were so many exam questions about fine points not covered in the Sybex OCA exam preparation book, I bought this book to hopefully have better preparation for the OCP exam. The explanations in this Osborne book are very clear and concise and good examples of every technique are given. I can tell that the authors really understand the material and I find their explanations easy to understand. I have only read the OCP (part II) of this book in order to prepare for the exam, but I want to go back and read part I as I am sure there will be explanations that will help me to understand more deeply the OCA material. The only weakness of this guide is that each chapter on the included CD is a separate acrobat file and must be opened separately (you can't open the whole book at one time), and there are not as many tests on the CD as there are on the Sybex CDs, although you can download a free bonus exam from the Osborne website. If you want to prepare for the OCA and OCP, I would recommend this book for the explanations, and the Sybex set of two books for practice tests.
on 31 August 2006
Each and every chapter is well designed and explained clearly and concisely. Concepts, operational procedures, practices and review questions make each chapter unforgettable.

For my OCP exams I was in a hurry and I didn't really have time to go through any other materials. Still I cleared both exams very easily with the sole help of this book.

The authors really know their subject and have done a very good job. One of the best Oracle Press Books I have come across.
on 12 November 2007
I recently passed the OCA & OCP exams after a bootcamp but I used this book for pre-course reading and it certainly helped a lot. It doos use a lot of example of doing things with Enterprise Manager (Datbase Control) and the exams will cover very little along those lines. More command line knowledge is required I feel for the exams.

Beware the test exams on the disc. Mine were labelled incorrectly, with the OCA listed as being the OCP and vice versa.

I also used the Sybex books on the course and these too had their good and bad points. Much more command line stuff but a few typo errors that could cause an incorrect answer.

A good tool to aid study but not 5 stars in my mind.
on 5 October 2007
I've just passed the Oracle OCA 10g exam, This book really helped.. A must for your OCA/P certifcation
on 18 December 2008
I just passed the Admin II exam (hoorah) using just this book as my source of all knowledge (ok - i also passed Admin I 3 weeks ago using a variety of other material before buying this book, and had quite a lot of hands-on DBA experience some years back). There were things on the exam that didn't seem to be covered by the book but maybe i skipped them in the OCA section. These things are listed on the Oracle 10g Admin Workshop II course content, so check there, but not in the exam topics published by Oracle which pretty much follow the book exactly (or vice-versa). I have access to the 10g DBA Handbook and 10g The Complete Reference, neither of which cover much of the material, and certainly not in such an easy-to-absorb style.

The included quiz and exam software has errors and incorrect answers (according to the book, which also contradicts itself a couple of times) and seemed of medium quality in terms of content.

Why-o-why no errata for either book or software?!

Anyway, a pass is a pass and 2 weeks' work with this book did it for me without yet attending an Oracle course since 8i (so no OCP for me).
on 3 July 2009
Coming from an oop background, I'm not hugely impressed because there is only 1 diagram in this book and it's a rubbish one. Otherwise, it seems to cover the material well but it's not the most riveting read and the examples are all trivial (in part 1 at least).
on 2 October 2009
This is certainly a book for the 10g OCA, OCP certification. It covers Administration I and II and helps the reader learn in an easy manner. I would like to see more on oracle networking and database auditing. Overall a great book.