Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 November 2001
I was instinctively drawn towards this book because I didn't want to repeat my experiences I had with learning Java. It was then that I bought books indiscriminately trying to find one that "worked", and it was Herb Schildt's book that did the job (Complete Reference). I am happy to say that this book has not disappointed either, although after learning Java the Schildt way, C# was not so daunting.
Because I am not a complete newbie, and because C# bears so much similarity on a cosmetic level to Java, the first 6 Chapters , and therefore more than half of the book, were almost superfluous. Yet they were brilliantly written and they are in a the style that proves that this author is a master in teaching computer languages.
The book comes into its own when it starts to tackle more advanced OO topics such as Inheritance, which is dealt with in an amazing chapter, worth almost the price of the book, and the features that are typical to C# which are Delegates, Events and Namespaces.
All the while chapters are interspersed with quizzes and tests to help you to decide to keep going or to re-read! A great book.
All I would ask is that Schildt come up with a book on the lines of a "Complete Reference" for C# and which also deals with more advanced topics like Remoting etc.