on 21 June 2001
This little reference is excactly what a CSS reference should be, including bug- and compatibility information for Netscape 4/6, IE 4/5/5.5 and Opera 3/4/5. The only small drawback I can think of is that I occasionally find it a little difficult to find the information I need. It is there, but sometimes you have to jump a little around between different sections in the book, before you have all the information you're looking for. To make it absolutely perfect you could add information about other alternative browsers, mostly I'm thinking about Konqueror. But these are minor subjects.
This is no tutorial, but it is a fine reference. I don't think I will be fair if I don't give it at least 4 stars, and I'm not really sure theres a good reason not giving it 5, so...
on 6 July 2004
An excellent reference, helpfully laid out and clearly explained. Although it could usefully contain much more information on individual browser quirks (and workaround techniques), it is nearly always the first CSS reference I pull from the shelf when I have a query.
This book was published in 2001. It is update to browsers IE5.5, Netscape 6 and Opera 5; but was published too early to reflect CSS2.2 and the latest generation of browsers. Sadly, the news from Osborne/McGraw-Hill in July 2004 was that there are currenlty no plans for an update. Although we can hope they get started on a new edition quickly, this book is still an order of magnitude better than "Cascading Style Sheets - The Definitive Guide" published in 2004 by O'Reilly.
on 17 July 2003
This book is now permanently on my (physical) desktop. I can't possibly remember all the details of CSS - I just look things up all the time. Almost everything you need to know is here.
Note: it is a reference book not a teaching book. If you're new to CSS then you will need both. I recommend "Eric Meyer on CSS: Mastering the Language of Web Design with Cascading Style Sheets" for learning.
My only criticism is that the typography and layout are poor. In particular, in the main section, which accounts for about half the total number of pages, the page header simply says "reference", which is unhelpful. Since any one topic can cover many pages, you often need to flip though several pages in order to find where (alphabetically) you are. This is only a minor inconvenience, but irritating because it is quite unnecessary.
By the way, the cover blurb refers to "this useful programming language". Some people might be put off by this, thinking that CSS is only for computer programmers. Obviously, CSS in not a programming language.
on 27 April 2001
This book is definitely worth every penny spent! Covers all CSS1 along with CSS2, and as stated on cover a reference book - which it is, and a perfect one at that! If you're looking for a book on CSS - this is the one. An excellent book - need i say more.
on 30 December 2003
I can't live without this CSS book. It is laid out like a dictionary, so you can find what you need really quickly. Everything is written concisely and in plain English, well plain CSS! The small size of this book means you can take it with you anywhere and it will fit in a large-ish coat pocket.
This book won't teach you CSS, but even if you only have a basic understanding of the language you will become much more proficient because of it.
Highly recommended!