on 28 March 2013
The Official Guide to the TOEFL Test by ETS (4th edition, 2012) is perhaps the most important resource to start with for any TOEFL candidate. The company that makes the test provides their official guide to it, so all other preparation books are secondary. As a TOEFL teacher, I personally prefer the general approach and organized content of Longman, Bruce Rogers, or Cambridge preparation courses, however, the Official Guide from ETS remains the original source of information about the TOEFL, so it can not be overlooked.

YES, it is flawed with a poor explanation of the Listening Section and it's question types, with examples that do not always match the skill being introduced, as well as no audio files to accompany sample listening transcripts (pp.127-140). And YES, they've padded the fourth edition with a "Writer's Handbook for English Language Learners" (pp.575-635) and removed the very interesting statistical information about TOEFL score averages around the world, the kind of information that only ETS could provide (previously found in the third edition). And YES, the strategies and tips are somewhat limited, as are the number of sample questions provided with each question type...

BUT, it is the Official Guide from the TOEFL people, offering sample answers for speaking and writing tasks, scored according to the official rubrics, with explanations of how they were scored, directly from the people who set up the rubrics and know them best (priceless). Based on this alone, it is a must for TOEFL candidates who want a general understanding of the test and some insight into the scoring system. Purchase this along with Official TOEFL iBT Tests with Audio: Educational Testing Service (McGraw-Hill's TOEFL iBT) if you want more authentic practice tests.

I think the book deserves a solid four stars, especially since ETS took the time to improve the CD-Rom, which is now PC- and Mac-compatible, with a much better interface than the third edition's disc.
on 9 December 2012
I was satisfied with a structure of the book when talking about the four main passages (reading, listening, speaking, writing) and the 3 tests. However, I would recommend the passages be more explanational in order to get better advise. At the end of the day, however, it helped me to prepare properly.
on 29 October 2013
I bought this for one of my students and she finds it very helpful. The CD-Rom is easy to install and use. The reading texts are repeated paragraph by paragraph in the book to simulate the test format.
on 14 March 2013
CD-ROM doesn't really work for the speaking section, so you have to use the audio on its own.

The material is quite good. Better for practice than for instruction.
on 20 July 2013
Written in a very sensible way. Ideal when you already achieved the required level and just want to prepare for the format of the test. Recommend.
on 29 June 2014
You must have this book if you plan to take TOEFL. After going through it, I increased my confidence and I did it. I highly recommend it.
on 23 November 2012
I recommend it
I will help me
I hope it
It's very easy to study
and very interesting and the most complete
on 2 December 2013
I use this book to practice my oral speaking, and I find this book very useful. Pure American accent, and I love this.
on 1 September 2013
Arrived in time. My daughter used it to help her pass the tofel exam. It is recomended to those taking this exam.
on 23 October 2013
i love it it's amazing, and i found what i need to prepare my self
i will tel all my friends